Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
acid action added afforded alſo appears applied becauſe become body called carbonic caſe cauſe circumſtances colour combined communication conſequently conſiderable contains continued cryſtals cylinder deſcribed direction earth effect electric equal eſcapement experiments fact fall feet firſt fixed fluid force four give given glaſs gold grains greater heat inches iron kind laſt lead length leſs light lines manner matter means metal method mixed mixture moſt motion muriatic muſt nature nearly neceſſary object obſerved obtained operation oxygen pieces plate portion precipitate preſent principle proceſs produced properties proportion quantity received remained remarked rendered reſpecting reſult ſame ſecond ſeems ſeparated ſeveral ſhall ſhould ſide ſmall ſolution ſome ſtate ſteel ſubject ſubſtance ſuch ſufficient ſurface taken theſe thoſe tube uſed veſſel weight wheel whole wire
355. oldal - Armenians, have a singular method of ornamenting watch cases, &c., with diamonds and other precious stones, by simply glueing or cementing them on. The stone is set in silver or gold, and the lower part of the metal made flat, or to correspond with the part to which it is to be fixed; it is then warmed gently, and...
112. oldal - ... made watertight by means of collars of oiled leather, the box was filled with cold water (viz. at the temperature of 60'), and the machine was put in motion. The result of this beautiful experiment was very striking, and the pleasure it afforded me amply repaid me for all the trouble I had had in contriving and arranging the complicated machinery used in making it.
113. oldal - BOILED ! It would be difficult to describe the surprise and astonishment expressed in the countenances of the bystanders, on seeing so large a quantity of cold water heated, and actually made to boil, without any fire.
330. oldal - The winds roared, and the rains fell. The poor white man, faint and weary, came and sat under our tree. He has no mother to bring him milk — no wife to grind his corn.
107. oldal - Being engaged lately in superintending the boring of cannon in the workshops of the military arsenal at Munich, I was struck with the very considerable degree of Heat which a brass gun acquires in a short time in being bored, and with the still more intense Heat (much greater than that of boiling water, as I found by experiment) of the metallic chips separated from it by the borer.
13. oldal - Far on the right, her dogs foul Scylla hides: Charybdis roaring on the left presides, And in her greedy whirlpool sucks the tides; Then spouts them from below: with fury driv'n, The waves mount up and wash the face of heav'n.
112. oldal - ... of the other end of it, it is evident that the machinery could be put in motion, without the least danger of forcing the box out of its place, throwing the water out of it, or deranging any part of the apparatus.
114. oldal - ... further how large a quantity of heat might be produced by proper mechanical contrivance, merely by the strength of a horse, without either fire, light, combustion, or chemical decomposition; and, in a case of necessity, the heat thus produced might be used in cooking victuals.
417. oldal - At first they could not be persuaded of the reality of the appearance ; but they soon became so thoroughly convinced, by the cliffs gradually appearing more elevated, and approaching nearer, as it were, that they pointed out, and named to me, the different places they had been accustomed to visit ; such as the Bay, the Old Head or Man, the Windmill, &c. at Boulogne ; St. Vallery, and other places on the coast of Picardy ; which they afterwards confirmed, when they viewed them through their telescopes.
138. oldal - Paulus ./Egineta fpeaks of fugar, as growing, in his time, in Europe, and alfo as brought from Arabia Felix ; the latter of which he feems to think lefs fweet than the fugar produced in Europe, and neither injurious to the Ûomach nor caufing thirft, as the European fugar was apt to do.