Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
advantages amount appear Arts assistance bath become body boiler boiling bread burner called candle carried coffee cold colour committee common consequently considerable constructed cost covered diameter direction distance effects employed equal Essay establishment expense experiments field fixed flame four furnished give given glass ground half heat hour illuminator important improvements inches increase industry Institution intensity interesting Italy kind lamp less light loths managers manner means measures ment military Munich namely necessary never objects observed officers opening particularly pass persons photometer placed poor possible pound prepared prevent printed produced proper proposed quantity quarter receive remain render reservoir respect screen serve shadows side society soup sufficient sums surface taken tion tube various warm weighed wheels whole wick
711. oldal - British empire, a public institution for diffusing the knowledge and facilitating the general introduction of useful mechanical inventions and improvements, and for teaching, by courses of philosophical lectures and experiments, the application of science to the common purposes of life.
772. oldal - Institution for diffusing the Knowledge and facilitating the general Introduction of Useful Mechanical Inventions and Improvements, and for teaching, by courses of Philosophical Lectures and Experiments, the Application of Science to the Common Purposes of Life.
234. oldal - To make vicious and abandoned people happy, it has generally been supposed necessary, first, to make them virtuous. But why not reverse this order ? Why not make them first happy and then virtuous?
217. oldal - The number of itinerant beggars of both sexes and all ages, as well foreigners as natives, who strolled about the country in all directions, levying contributions upon the industrious inhabitants, stealing and robbing, and leading a life of indolence and the most shameless debauchery, was quite incredible...
738. oldal - MP The following resolutions were agreed to unanimously : — I. That, before any measures are taken for carrying the plan into execution, a petition be presented to His MAJESTY, praying that he would be graciously pleased to grant a CHARTER to the INSTITUTION. II. That an outline of the plan be laid before the Right Honourable MR.
437. oldal - The pudding is to be eaten with a knife and fork, beginning at the circumference of the slice, and approaching regularly towards the centre, each piece of pudding being taken up with the fork, and dipped into the butter, or dipped into it in part only, as is commonly the case, before it is carried to the mouth.
424. oldal - Indian meal is stirred into it, by little and little, with a wooden epoon with a long handle, while the water goes on to be heated and made to boil ; great care being taken to put in the meal by very...
281. oldal - I had seen for years as beggars in the streets ; young women, perhaps the unhappy victims of seduction, who, having lost their reputation, and being turned adrift in the world, without a friend and without a home, were reduced to the necessity of begging to sustain a miserable existence, now recognized me as their benefactor ; and, with tears dropping fast from their cheeks, continued their work in the most expressive silence. If they were asked what the matter was with them ? their answer was (