The Book of Peace: A Collection of Essays on War and Peace
G.C.Beckwith, 1845 - 609 oldal
Sixty four tracts, compiled and edited by George C. Beckwith, corresponding secretaty of the American Peace Society. Each tract is separately as well as consecutively paged.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
abolish AMERICAN PEACE SOCIETY arms army Austria battle bayonet benevolence Bicetre blessing blood bodies butcher capital punishment cause of peace century Chris Christ Christendom Christian church civilized common crime custom dead death destroy disputes earth enemies England Europe evil father fight fire France French French Revolution friends of peace give gospel hands heart heaven honor horrors human hundred idolatry individuals influence intercourse Israelites Julius Cæsar kill labor less mankind MASS means ment military militia millions ministers misery moral Moscow multitude murder Napoleon nations nature navy never Noah Worcester object officer pacific passions perished prayer precepts present Prince of Peace principles profession punishment Quakers religion revenge rulers Russia Sabbath savage says scene ships soldiers soul spirit sufferings sword TERTULLIAN thing thousand tion victims violence war-system warriors wars whole William Penn women wounded wrong
139. oldal - And I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim, and the horse from Jerusalem, and the battle bow shall be cut off: and he shall speak peace unto the heathen : and his dominion shall be from sea even to sea, and from the river even to the ends of the earth.
53. oldal - But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the Lord shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it. And many nations shall come, and say, "Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his Ways, and we will walk in his paths...
266. oldal - Ye lust, and have not ; ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain ; ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not ; ye ask and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
131. oldal - Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: and be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
194. oldal - The schoolboy whips his taxed top ; the beardless youth manages his taxed horse with a taxed bridle on a taxed road ; and the dying Englishman, pouring his medicine, which has paid...
337. oldal - For I will cast out the nations before thee, and enlarge thy borders: neither shall any man desire thy land, when thou shalt go up to appear before the LORD thy God thrice in the year.
194. oldal - ... that comes from abroad, or is grown at home ; taxes on the raw material, taxes on every fresh value that is added to it by the industry of man ; taxes on the sauce which pampers man's appetite and the drug...
398. oldal - I hope it will be lasting, and that mankind will at length, as they call themselves reasonable creatures, have reason and sense enough to settle their differences without cutting throats : for, in my opinion, there never was a good war or a bad peace.
53. oldal - And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth ofZion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
54. oldal - Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath : for it is written, " Vengeance is mine ; I will repay, saith the Lord." Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.