Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
Dictionary of Americanisms: A Glossary of Words and Phrases Usually Regarded ...
John Russell Bartlett
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2020
American animal appearance applied authority banks bear boys called carried common corn dictionaries Dutch England English expression fish frequently give given ground hand hard head heard horse Human Indian keep kind known land language Letter live look manner means meeting Mexico Mountains Nature never North Northern one's origin party passed person phrase Pickering piece plant political popular prairies present probably provincial river says seen sense side Slick sometimes soon sort South Southern speaking species speech Spirit tell term Texas thing town Travels tree Tribune United Virginia vulgar Washington Webster West Western whole wood Worcester word writers Yankee York young
68. oldal - He has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating its most sacred rights of life and liberty in the persons of a distant people who never offended him, captivating and carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere, or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither.
276. oldal - In the discussions to which this interest has given rise, and in the arrangements by which they may terminate, the occasion has been judged proper for asserting as a principle in which the rights, and interests of the United States are involved, that the American continents, by the free and independent condition which they have assumed and maintain, are henceforth not to be considered as subjects for future colonization by any European powers.
446. oldal - Resolved, That the flag of the thirteen United States be thirteen stripes, alternate red and white ; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new constellation.
xvi. oldal - Dictionary of Archaic and Provincial Words, Obsolete Phrases, Proverbs, and Ancient Customs, from the Reign of Edward I. 2 vols, 8vo, containing upwards of 1,000 pages, closely printed In double columns, cloth, a new and cheaper edition.
283. oldal - In all social systems there must be a class to do the menial duties, to perform the drudgery of life. That is, a class requiring but a low order of intellect and but little skill. Its requisites are vigor, docility, fidelity. Such a class you must have, or you would not have that other class which leads progress, civilization, and refinement.
448. oldal - Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light. What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming? Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming-! And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there...
25. oldal - Then fill to-night, with hearts as light, To loves as gay and fleeting As bubbles that swim on the beaker's brim, And break on the lips while meeting.
270. oldal - Knipp took us all in. and brought to us Nelly, a most pretty woman, who acted the great part of 'Coelia' to-day very fine, and did it pretty well; I kissed her. and so did my wife, and a mighty pretty soul she is.
136. oldal - That if the President of the United States shall in his judgment and discretion deem it most advisable, instead of proceeding to submit the foregoing resolution to the Republic of Texas, as an overture on the part of the United States for admission, to negotiate with that Republic; then...
326. oldal - A Platform of Church Discipline gathered out of the word of God: and agreed upon by the Elders; and Messengers of the Churches assembled in the Synod at Cambridge in New England to be presented to the Churches and General! Court for their consideration and acceptance, in the Lord.