The Annual Register, 142. kötet
Continuation of the reference work that originated with Robert Dodsley, written and published each year, which records and analyzes the year’s major events, developments and trends in Great Britain and throughout the world. From the 1920s volumes of The Annual Register took the essential shape in which they have continued ever since, opening with the history of Britain, then a section on foreign history covering each country or region in turn. Following these are the chronicle of events, brief retrospectives on the year’s cultural and economic developments, a short selection of documents, and obituaries of eminent persons who died in the year.
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
aged allowed appeal appointed Army attack attempt bill Boers British called carried cause charge chief China Chinese Church College Colonel colonies command committee Council course Court Crown 8vo daughter debate Duke duty Educated effect election empire England English entered estimated expressed favour force foreign German give given Government hand held Henry History hoped House Illustrations Imperial important increase Indian interest Italy John Liberal London Lord majority March marks Married matter measure meeting ment military Minister Office opened opinion Opposition Parliament party passed persons political position Powers present President Prince Professor proposed question railway raised received regard represented result Roberts Royal School Secretary sent served showed South Africa speech successful taken tion took troops United University vols votes
9. oldal - Roget. — THESAURUS OF ENGLISH WORDS AND PHRASES. Classified and Arranged so as to Facilitate the Expression of Ideas and assist in Literary Composition. By PETER MARK ROGET, MD, FRS Recomposed throughout, enlarged and improved, partly from the Author's Notes, and with a full Index, by the Author's Son, JOHN LEWIS ROGET. Crown 8vo., 10s.
417. oldal - The canal shall never be blockaded, nor shall any right of war be exercised nor any act of hostility be committed within it. The United States, however, shall be at liberty to maintain such military police along the canal as may be necessary to protect it against lawlessness and disorder.
13. oldal - SACRED AND LEGENDARY ART, containing Legends of the Angels and Archangels, the Evangelists, the Apostles, the Doctors of the Church, St. Mary Magdalene, the Patron Saints, the Martyrs, the Early Bishops, the Hermits and the WarriorSaints of Christendom, as represented in the Fine Arts.
6. oldal - THE ROOTS OF THE MOUNTAINS, wherein is told somewhat of the Lives of the Men of Burgdale, their Friends, their Neighbours, their Foemen, and their Fellows-in-Arms.
161. oldal - Crown 8vo., 35. 6d. WHERE THREE EMPIRES MEET: a Narrative of Recent Travel in Kashmir, Western Tibet, Baltistan, Ladak, Gilgit, and the adjoining Countries. With a Map and 54 Illustrations. Cr. 8vo. , 35. 6d. THE ' FALCON' ON THE BALTIC: a Voyage from London to Copenhagen in a Three-Tonner.
166. oldal - Crozier (JOHN BEATTIE). CIVILISATION AND PROGRESS: being the Outlines of a New System of Political, Religious and Social Philosophy.
13. oldal - Woodcuts. i vol. 8vo., 10S. net. THE HISTORY OF OUR LORD, as exemplified in Works of Art, with that of His Types, St. John the Baptist, and other persons of the Old and New Testament.
9. oldal - STRANGE DWELLINGS: a Description of the Habitations of Animals, abridged from ' Homes without Hands '. With 60 Illustrations.
162. oldal - THE GLACIERS OF THE ALPS : being a Narrative of Excursions and Ascents. An Account of the Origin and Phenomena of Glaciers, and an Exposition of the Physical Principles to which they are related.
9. oldal - HOMES WITHOUT HANDS : A Description of the Habitations of Animals, classed according to their Principle of Construction. With 140 Illustrations. 8vo, gilt top, 7s. net. INSECTS AT HOME: A Popular Account of British Insects, their Structure, Habits and Transformations.