Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
Agriculture America Asia Atlantic bank belong Black bounded British broad called Cape capital Central centre chief chief towns chiefly China climate coast colony commerce comprise connected consists contains cotton course districts divided divisions drained Education elevation embraces Empire England English estimated Europe European exports extends extremity falls fertile flows forms fruits GEOGRAPHY Government Gulf head highlands important Indian industries iron islands Italy known Lake land language largest Latitude lies Longitude manufactures mean Mountains navigable nearly North numerous occupied Ocean Pacific parallel peninsula Persian PHYSICAL places plains Plateau POLITICAL population port portion possesses principal productions Provinces railway ranges region Religion rises rivers runs Russia schools shores side silk slopes South Strait stretches sugar surface territory timber towns trade traversed tributaries Turkey valleys vast volcanic waters
7. oldal - The main object is to enable a beginner to acquire an accurate knowledge of the chief grammatical forms, to learn their usage by constructing simple sentences as soon as he commences the study of the language, and to accumulate gradually a stock of words useful in conversation as well as in reading.
246. oldal - Assembly consists of thirty members, elected by 10Z. householders, or freeholders, and all subjects holding a commission, or possessing a degree, or in holy orders. The legislative authority rests in both Houses united ; while the executive power is vested in a governor appointed by the Crown. Governor of Tasmania.
282. oldal - THE STUDENT'S ANCIENT HISTORY OF THE EAST. From the Earliest Times to the Conquests of Alexander the Great, including Egypt, Assyria, Babylonia, Media, Persia, Asia Minor, and Phoenicia.
7. oldal - ... There is a river in the ocean. In the severest droughts it never fails, and in the mightiest floods it never overflows. Its banks and its bottom are of cold water, while its current is of warm. The Gulf of Mexico is its fountain, and its mouth is in the Arctic seas. It is the Gulf Stream. There is in the world no other such majestic flow of waters. Its current is more rapid than the Mississippi or the Amazon, and its volume more than a thousand times greater.
11. oldal - This work embraces all the subjects in Natural Philosophy required at the Matriculation Examination of the University of London.
282. oldal - THE STUDENT'S HISTORY OF GREECE. FROM THE EARLIEST TIMES TO THE ROMAN CONQUEST. With Chapters on the History of Literature and Art. By WM. SMITH, D.CL. With Coloured Maps and Woodcuts. (640 pp.) Post 8vo. 71. 6d. '*' Questions on the
1. oldal - Smaller History of English Literature" supplies a rapid but trustworthy sketch of the lives of our chief writers, and of the successive influences which imparted to their writings their peculiar character, the present work supplies choice examples of the works themselves, accompanied by all the explanations required for their perfect explanation. The two works are thus especially designed to be used together.
6. oldal - The great object of this work, as of the " Principia Latina," is to make the study of the language as easy and simple as possible, by giving the grammatical forms only as they are wanted, and by enabling the pupil to translate from Greek into English and from English into Greek as soon as he has learnt the Greek characters and the First Declension. For...