Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
acquired adventurers Africa America ancient appeared Arabian Gulf ardour arts Asia Barcia Hist Canary Islands Cape carried Carthaginian Casas cazique Ciudad coast colony Columbus command commerce commodities Compagnia Conquista considerable Constantinople continent countrymen course crown of Castile Cuba Diego Diego Columbus discovered discovery Discurso earth east Egypt empire enterprise Europe European expedition Exst extended favourable Ferdinand globe Greeks gulf of Darien Herrera Hispaniola Historia hitherto honour hundred improvement India Indios inhabitants intercourse Isabella island Juan King kingdom knowledge labour land lumbus mankind Mexico Mundo nations natives naval navigation Nueva Espagna ocean opulent Oviedo Paraguay Pedro Peru Phenicians Portugal Portuguese possessed Prim Prince progress provinces Provincia Ramusio Red Sea regions Relacion rendered respect Reyno river Roman sailed scheme ships soon Spain Spaniards Spanish spirit success tion torn torrid zone trade unknown Viage visited vols voyage World Zengis zone
123. oldal - As soon as morning dawned, all doubts and fears were dispelled. From every ship an island was seen about two leagues to the north, whose flat and verdant fields, well stored with wood, and watered with many rivulets, presented the aspect of a delightful country.
374. oldal - On the part of the king, Don Fernando, and of Dona Juana, his daughter, queen of Castile and Leon, subduers of the barbarous nations, we their servants notify and make known to you, as best we can, that the Lord our God, living and eternal, created the heaven and the earth, and one man and one woman, of whom you and we, and all the men of the world, were and are descendants, and all those who come after us.
126. oldal - ... with lightning and smoke, struck them with such terror, that they began to respect their new guests as a superior order of beings, and concluded that they were children of the sun, who had descended to visit the earth. The Europeans were hardly less amazed at the scene now before them. Every herb, and shrub, and tree, was different from those which flourished in Europe. The soil seemed to be rich, but bore few marks of cultivation.
113. oldal - Canaries; and many of the sailors, dejected already and dismayed, when they contemplated the boldness of the undertaking, began to beat their breasts and to shed tears, as if they were never more to behold land. Columbus comforted them with assurances of success, and the prospect of vast wealth, in those opulent regions whither he was conducting them.
121. oldal - It was necessary, on all these accounts, to soothe passions which he could no longer command, and to give way to a torrent too impetuous to be checked. He promised solemnly to his men that he would comply with their request, provided they would accompany him, and obey his command for three days longer-, and if, during that time, land were not discovered, he would then abandon the enterprise, and direct his course towards Spain.
122. oldal - Enraged as the sailors were, and impatient to turn their faces again towards their native country, this proposition did not appear to them unreasonable. Nor did Columbus hazard much in confining himself to a term so short. The presages of discovering land were now so numerous and promising, that he deemed them infallible.
122. oldal - October, after public prayers for success, he ordered the sails to be furled, and the ships to lie to, keeping strict watch, lest they should be driven ashore in the night. During this interval of suspense and expectation, no man shut his eyes, all kept upon deck, gazing intently towards that quarter where thev expected to discover the land, which had been so long the object of their wishes.
314. oldal - In order to provide some remedy for this, without which he found it was in vain to mention his scheme, Las Casas proposed to purchase a sufficient number of negroes from the Portuguese settlements on the coast of Africa, and to transport them to America, in order that they might be employed as slaves in working the mines and cultivating the ground.
108. oldal - They declared, that if any controversy or law-suit shall arise with respect to any mercantile transaction in the countries which should be discovered, it should be determined by the sole authority of Columbus, or of judges to be appointed by him. 5. They permitted Columbus to advance one-eighth part of what should be expended in preparing for the expedition, and in carrying on commerce with the countries which he should discover, and entitled him, in return, to an eighth part of the profit*.
124. oldal - European who set foot in the new world which he had discovered. He landed in a rich dress, and with a naked sword in his hand. His men followed, and kneeling down, they all kissed the ground which they had so long desired to see. They next erected a crucifix, and prostrating themselves before it, returned thanks to God for conducting their voyage to such a happy issue.