Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
adopted American amount appearance bank beautiful become bill called canals cause character command common Congress Constitution continued course debt democratic direct duty effect England English equal existence exports fact father feel France friends give given gold hand head heart hope human important improvements increase interest Italy John labor land less letter living look March matter means measure millions mind nature nearly necessary never New-York object officers operation party passed period persons political position possessed practice present principles produce question reason received relation remarked respect result seemed Senate side South thing thought tion took trade true turned Union United whole young
16. oldal - It is at all times difficult to draw with precision the line between those rights, which must be surrendered, and those, which may be reserved; and on the present occasion this difficulty was increased by a difference among the several states, as to their situation, extent, habits, and particular interests.
291. oldal - Less than arch-angel ruined, and the excess Of glory obscured: as when the sun, new risen, Looks through the horizontal misty air Shorn of his beams; or from behind the moon, In dim eclipse, disastrous twilight sheds On half the nations, and with fear of change Perplexes monarchs.
16. oldal - Constitution, which we now present, is the result of a spirit of amity, and of that mutual deference and concession which the peculiarity of our political situation rendered indispensable.
252. oldal - ... erect or maintain any fortifications commanding the same or in the vicinity thereof, or occupy, or fortify or colonize, or assume or exercise any dominion over Nicaragua, Costa Rica, the Mosquito coast, or any part of Central America...
11. oldal - The credit of the State shall not, in any manner, be given or loaned to, or in aid of, any individual, association or corporation.
17. oldal - The General Assembly shall, at Its first session under the amended constitution, pass such laws as will effectually prohibit free persons of color from immigrating to and settling In this State: and to effectually prevent the owners of slaves from bringing them into this State for the purpose of setting them free.
11. oldal - ... provide for the collection of a direct annual tax to pay, and sufficient to pay the interest on such debt as it falls due, and also to pay and discharge the principal of such debt within eighteen years from the time of the contracting thereof.
199. oldal - He was bred to the law, which is, in my opinion, one of the first and noblest of human sciences ; a science which does more to quicken and invigorate the understanding, than all the other kinds of learning put together ; but it is not apt, except in persons very happily born, to open and to liberalize the mind exactly in the same proportion.
168. oldal - Be that word our sign of parting, bird or fiend!' I shrieked, upstarting 'Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore! Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken! Leave my loneliness unbroken! - quit the bust above my door! Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!