The Triumphs of Christianity Over Infidelity Displayed; Or, the Coming of the Messiah, the True Key to the Right Understanding of the Most Difficult Passages in the New Testament; ... Being a Full Answer to the Objections of Mr. Gibbon, that Our Lord and His Apostles Predicted the Near Approach of the End of the World in Their Own Time, Etc
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
answer Apostles appears applied approach asserted attention Author Bishop calamities called chap chapter character Christ Christianity circumstances clouds coming concerning conduct connection consequence consideration considered death deceive described destruction of Jerusalem difficulties direct Disciples divine doubt Earth Empire Epistle Evangelist event evidence expected expression extreme Fall false Father fully give given Gospel hand hath Heaven History imagined immediately important Jesus Jewish Jews judgment judicious kingdom language learned least light Lord Lord's Luke manner Mark Matt Matthew meaning mentioned Messiah minds nature necessary object observed occasion opinion particularly pass passage period person possibly prediction prejudices present proof Prophecy Prophets question Reader reason reference relates remarkable respect Roman says Scripture seems sense speaking sufferings supposed temporal things tion true truth understood University unto verse whole Writer xxiv
250. oldal - For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.
250. oldal - And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, and was transfigured before them : and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.
187. oldal - Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come. 43 But know this, that if the good man of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up. 44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not, the Son of man cometh.
132. oldal - But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away ; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
237. oldal - Whose voice then shook the earth ; but now he hath promised, saying ; Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven. And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.
245. oldal - For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
242. oldal - For he that will love life, And see good days, Let him refrain his tongue from evil, And his lips that they speak no guile: Let him eschew evil, and do good ; Let him seek peace, and ensue it.
226. oldal - Little children, it is the last time ; and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.
101. oldal - For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light; the sun shall be darkened in his going forth, and the moon shall not cause her light to shine.
54. oldal - And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand : and if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?