Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
acid action active amount animal appear applied become believe blood body brain called carbonic cause character common condition connected constitution continued course described direct disease effect electricity entirely excitement existence experiments expression eyes fact feel force functions give given greater hand head human idea important impressibility increase indicates individual influence intellectual interesting knowledge known laws less letter light living magnetism manifestations manner matter means medicine mental mesmeric mind moral nature necessary nervous never objects observe operation opinion organs pain pass patient persons phenomena physical portion position practical present principles probably produced questions reason received regard region relations remarkable render seems sense side sounds spirit substance sufficient supposed things thought tion true truth various views whole writing
250. oldal - ... the inquiry of truth, which is the love-making or wooing of it, the knowledge of truth, which is the presence of it, and the belief of truth, which is the enjoying of it, is the sovereign good of human nature.
31. oldal - When leagued Oppression pour'd to Northern wars Her whisker'd pandoors and* her fierce hussars, Waved her dread standard to the breeze of morn, Peal'd her loud drum, and twang'd her trumpet horn ; Tumultuous horror brooded o'er her van...
16. oldal - Oh, my dear Kepler, how I wish that we could have one hearty laugh together ! Here, at Padua, is the principal professor of philosophy, whom I have repeatedly and urgently requested to look at the moon and planets through my glass, which he pertinaciously refuses to do. Why are you not here ? What shouts of laughter we should have at this glorious folly ! And to hear the professor of philosophy at Pisa...
563. oldal - ... to believe it was the work of spirits. It could not, by any possibility, have been done by them, nor even attempted, without detection. And I may add, that, near the close of the demonstrations at this visit, there was a vibration of the floor, as though several tons in weight had been uplifted, and suddenly fallen again upon it. This caused everything in the room to shake most violently for several minutes, when the force was withdrawn. " I have also tested the intelligence of these spirits...
564. oldal - History of the strange sounds or rappings, heard in Rochester and western New York, and usually called the mysterious noises ! which are supposed by many to be communications from the spirit world; together with the explanation that can as yet be given of the matter.
51. oldal - About nine years since, in conversation with Bishop , of the Episcopal Church, he informed me that his own sensibility was so acute, that if he should, by accident, touch a piece of brass, even in the night, when he could not see what he touched, he immediately felt the influence through his system, and could recognize the offensive metallic taste.
31. oldal - Peal'd her loud drum, and twang'd her trumpet horn ; Tumultuous horror brooded o'er her van, Presaging wrath to Poland — and to man...
211. oldal - He would exert great influence in the political world, and make others do the work for him." "His capacities would be great as a statesman, but equally great as an orator, or as a jurist; but the capacity of the orator is most developed. He has a great flow of language, is pointed, uses a variety of gestures and has a great deal of artificial or acquired eloquence. Sometimes there is a great burst of feeling, which carries his audience away. He is a great observer of how his audience take his oratory,...
534. oldal - ... twenty-four, doing at intervals that which she is not doing. There are many exhibitions of extravagant powers which she possesses, that we talk of to no one ; for finding it difficult to acquire credit for lesser things, we do not venture on the greater. Her power ceases the moment the attack passes off. A considerable swelling has at times been visible at the back of the head, which has yielded to the treatment. It is certainly a case which would be an instructive one, in the consideration of...