Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
acquire advancement amount answers application appointed attention become believe Board body called Candidates Certificates Chairman classes College Committee common consider Council desire difficulties distributed drawing duty English established Examiners fact give given hands held House human importance improvement industry Institutions instruction Journal knowledge labour language lectures less letter literature living London look Manufactures matter means Mechanics meeting memory ment mind names natural never objects obtain opinion passed persons position practical present principle Prize Fund Prizes promote propose published question reason received recommend reward Royal schools Secretary Society of Arts Society's stand success supply taken things thought tion true union University whole young
16. oldal - Pater ipse colendi Haud facilem esse viam voluit, primusque per artem Movit agros curis acuens mortalia corda, Nee torpere gravi passus sua regna veterno.
12. oldal - Not a unity which breaks down the limits, and levels the peculiar characteristics of the different nations of the earth, but rather a unity the result and product of those very national varieties and antagonistic qualities. The distances which separated the different nations and parts of the globe are gradually vanishing before the achievements of modern invention, and we can traverse them with incredible ease; the languages of all nations are known, and their acquirements placed within the reach...
15. oldal - I possessed at this time but one book in the world: it was a treatise on Algebra, given to me by a young woman, who had found it in a lodginghouse. I considered it as a treasure; but it was a treasure locked up; for it supposed the reader to be well acquainted with simple equation, and I knew nothing of the matter.
16. oldal - In every case the institution of Public Service Examinations (which have long been strictly competitive) is the cause of the continued duration of the Chinese nation : it is that which preserves the other causes and gives efficacy to their operation. By it all parents throughout the country, who can compass the means, are induced to impart to their sons an intimate knowledge of the literature which contains the three doctrines above cited, together with many others conducive to a high mental cultivation....
15. oldal - ... earth, nor a friend to give me one: pen, ink, and paper, therefore, (in despite of the flippant remark of Lord Orford,') were, for the most part, as completely out of my reach, as a crown and sceptre. There was indeed a resource; but the utmost caution and secrecy were necessary in applying to it. I beat out pieces of leather as smooth as possible, and wrought my problems on them with a blunted awl: for the rest, my memory was tenacious, and I could multiply and divide by it, to a great extent.
50. oldal - Is there not an appointed time to man upon earth? Are not his days also like the days of an hireling?
33. oldal - has such a tendency to weaken, not only the powers of invention, but the intellectual powers in general, as a habit of extensive and various reading without reflection.
12. oldal - Nobody, however, who has paid any attention to the peculiar features of our present era, will doubt for a moment that we are living at a period of most wonderful transition, which tends rapidly to accomplish that great end, to which, indeed, all history points — the realisation of the unity of mankind.
33. oldal - The great number of books and papers of amusement, which, of one kind or another, daily come in one's way, have in part occasioned, and most perfectly fall in with and humour, this idle way of reading and considering things. By this means, time, even in solitude, is happily got rid of, without the pain of attention: Neither is any part of it more put to the account of idleness, one can scarce forbear saying, is spent with less thought, than great part of that which is spent in reading.