Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
The Manual of Peace: Exhibiting the Evils and Remedies of War - War College ...
Thomas Cogswell Upham
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2015
AMERICAN PEACE SOCIETY arms army assert benevolent blessed blood cause certainly chaplain CHAPTER character Christ Christian civil command common Commonwealth of England course crime Dion divine doctrine dreadful duty enemies evil express father feel field of battle fight forgiveness France give gospel grape shot heart hostility human idolatry individuals influence instances Irenæus Jaffa liberty light of nature look Lord Louis XIV mankind Maximilian means ment military millennial millennium millions mind minister miseries missionary moral and religious national glory neighbor object Old Testament pacific principles passage peace perhaps perish person philanthropist practice pray prayer profession reason regard religion remark Roman round shot Sabbath Sabbath school Savior says scene SHALT NOT KILL slave slave trade soldiers spirit strife suffer suppose sword TATIAN taxed Tertullian thing Thou shalt tion undoubtedly unlawfulness unto violence warlike wars words wounded
125. oldal - And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.
154. oldal - And all they in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath, and rose up and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong.
102. oldal - And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.
120. oldal - Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath : for it is written, " Vengeance is mine ; I will repay, saith the Lord." Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
62. oldal - ... that comes from abroad, or is grown at home — taxes on the raw material — taxes on every fresh value that is added to...
109. oldal - But the wisdom that is from above, is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.
102. oldal - But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth : and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked. And righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins, and faithfulness the girdle of his reins.
112. oldal - ... filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; that ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness...