Fields, Osgood & Company, 1869 - 193 oldal
On Liberty is a philosophical work by 19th century English philosopher John Stuart Mill, first published in 1859. To the Victorian readers of the time it was a radical work, advocating moral and economic freedom of individuals from the state.
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
action admit affect allowed argument attempt Author become believe better called cause character Christian Church cloth common complete concerns condition conduct considerable considered Crown 8vo custom desire DICTIONARY discussion doctrine duty ELEMENTS England English Essay evil example exercise exist experience fact feelings force freedom give grounds History hold human Illustrations important improvement individual Institution interests interference JOHN judgment justify late Lectures less liberty limit living mankind Maps means ment mental mind mode moral nature necessary never numerous object opinion originality party persons Physical Plates political Popular Post 8vo practical present principle punishment question reason received religion religious require revised rules Second Edition side social society strong theory things Third thought tion true truth unless vols whole Wood Woodcuts wrong
22. oldal - Catechism of the Steam Engine, with 67 Woodcuts. Fcp. 9s. BOURNE'S RECENT IMPROVEMENTS in the STEAM ENGINE in its various applications to Mines, Mills, Steam Navigation, Railways, and Agriculture, filing a Supplement to the Author's 'Catechism of the Steam Engine.
117. oldal - Human nature is not a machine to be built after a model, and set to do exactly the work prescribed for it, but a tree, which requires to grow and develop itself on all sides, according to the tendency of the inward forces which make it a living thing.
27. oldal - How we Spent the Summer; or, a Voyage en Zigzag in Switzerland and Tyrol with some Members of the ALPINE CLUB.
15. oldal - A GENERAL DICTIONARY of GEOGRAPHY, Descriptive, Physical, Statistical, and Historical : forming a complete Gazetteer of the World. By A. KEITH JOHNSTON, LL.DFRGS Revised Edition.
22. oldal - London's Encyclopaedia of Agriculture: comprising the Laying-out, Improvement, and Management of Landed Property, and the Cultivation and Economy of the Productions of Agriculture. With 1,100 Woodcuts. 8vo. 21s. London's Encyclopaedia of Gardening: comprising the Theory and Practice of Horticulture, Floriculture, Arboriculture, and Landscape Gardening.
7. oldal - The subject of this essay is not the so-called "liberty of the will," so unfortunately opposed to the misnamed doctrine of philosophical necessity; but civil, or social liberty: the nature and limits of the power which can be legitimately exercised by society over the individual.
21. oldal - Essay is to assert one very simple principle, as entitled to govern absolutely the dealings of society with the individual in the way of compulsion and control, whether the means used be physical force in the form of legal penalties, or the moral coercion of public opinion. That principle is, that the sole end for which mankind are warranted, individually or collectively, in interfering with the liberty of action of any of their number, is self-protection.
25. oldal - PRINCIPLES of EDUCATION Drawn from Nature and Revelation, and applied to Female Education in the Upper Classes. By the Author of