Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
amongst ancient appears Arian arms Army Asiatic Asylum authority believe Bengal body Brahmin Brigade British Calcutta called Captain Cavalry Celts Ceylon character civil climate Colonel command considered Constantinople Corps cultivation Daylesford dear districts doubt East England English Europe European Exhibition existence fact Government Governor Hafiz Halhed Halhed's Hastings Havildar Herodotus hills Hindoos Horse hundred India Infantry inhabitants insanity interest Irregular Jemadars jungle Kumaon labour land less letter Lord Lucknow Madras means ment miles military mind native nature never North Nynee observed obtained officers opinion origin Oude passed Persian possessed present probably Provinces Punjab race Railway readers regard Regiments remarkable Ressallahs road Robert Sherley rupees scarcely Scythians Shah Shah Abbas shew Sir Anthony Sonthal square miles stone Sufis Sufism sword tion troops village Warren Hastings whole
389. oldal - ... certain it is, that whosoever hath his mind fraught with many thoughts, his wits and understanding do clarify and break up, in the communicating and discoursing with another; he tosseth his thoughts more easily; he marshalleth them more orderly; he seeth how they look when they are turned into words ; finally, he waxeth wiser than himself; and that more by an hour's discourse than by a day's meditation.
500. oldal - Intellectually, he appears to have been in nearly the lowest stage to which an intelligent being can sink ; morally, he was the slave of a superstition, the grovelling character of which will be traced in reviewing his sepulchral rites ; physically, he differed little in stature from the modern inheritors of the same soil, but his cerebral development was poor...
493. oldal - The Eastern Origin of the Celtic Nations proved by a Comparison of their Dialects with the Sanskrit, Greek, Latin, and Teutonic Languages. Forming a Supplement to Researches into the Physical History of Mankind.
285. oldal - SHERLEY HIS RELATION OF HIS TRAVELS INTO PERSIA. THE DANGERS AND DISTRESSES, WHICH BEFELL HIM IN HIS PASSAGE, both by sea and land, and his strange and unexpected deliverances. His Magnificent Entertainment in Persia, His Honourable imployment there-hence, as Embassadour to the Princes of Christendome...
41. oldal - Vyse, that of the nine pyramids still existing at Gizeh, six (including all the largest) have the narrow passages by which alone they can be entered, (all which open out on the northern faces of their respective pyramids,) inclined to the horizon downwards at angles as follows. 1st, or Pyramid of Cheops 26° 41...
243. oldal - Kanoo; he was like a white man though dressed in the native style: on each hand he had ten fingers; he held a white book, and wrote therein; the book and with it 20 pieces of paper ... he presented to the brothers; ascended upwards, and disappeared.
288. oldal - Elizabeth, who said, that as a virtuous woman ought to look on none but her husband, so a subject ought not to cast his eyes on any other sovereign than him God had set over him. " I will not," said she, " have my sheep marked with a strange brand ; nor suffer them to follow the pipe of a strange shepherd.
509. oldal - Kaleeshunkur, a few attendants, and about twentv persons to throw the animal down, and hold it in the post, while the head was cut off. The goats were sacrificed first, then the buffaloes, and last of all two or three rams. In order to secure the animals, ropes were fastened round their legs ; they were then thrown down, and the neck placed in a piece of wood fastened into the ground, and made open at the top like the space between the prongs of a fork.
600. oldal - I now speak from a somewhat enlarged experience, from much consideration of the matter, and I have no hesitation in affirming that, if brought within the sphere of medical treatment in the earlier stages, or even within a few months of the attack, insanity, unless the result of severe...