Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
already ancient appeared Arabs Assyrian bas-reliefs Botta bricks brought building built bull called carried Chaldeans chamber character chief collected completely continued corner covered crossed cuneiform descending described discovered discovery East entered entrance evident excavations face fall feet figures flowers formed fragments hand head horses houses inhabitants inscriptions journey Khorsabad king Kouyunjik Kurdish Kurds land less letters lions monuments morning Mosul mound mountains N.W. Palace nature nearly night Nimroud Nineveh object once orders origin Ornament party pashaw passed Persian plain present probably reached received remains removed represented resembling rest returned river rock rode round ruins scarcely sculptures sent sheikh side similar slabs Sofuk soon standing stones tents Tigris tions Tiyari tomb town traces trees trenches tribe uncovered usual valley village walls wandered warriors winged women workmen
52. oldal - They could find no better type of intellect and knowledge than the head of the man ; of strength, than the body of the lion ; of rapidity of motion, than the wings of the bird. These winged human-headed lions were not idle creations, the offspring of mere fancy ; their meaning was written upon them.
54. oldal - Nineveh a desolation and dry like a wilderness, and flocks lie down in the midst of her : all the beasts of the nations, both the cormorant and bittern, lodge in the upper lintels of it ; their voice sings in the windows ; and desolation is in the thresholds.
5. oldal - He has left the land where nature is still lovely, where, in his mind's eye, he can rebuild the temple or the theatre, half doubting whether they would have made a more grateful impression upon' the senses than the ruin before him. He is now at a loss to give any form to the rude heaps upon which he is gazing.
xv. oldal - Oh that my words were now written! Oh that they were printed in a book! That they were graven with an iron pen and lead In the rock for ever!
49. oldal - They had uncovered the upper part of a figure, the remainder of which was still buried in the earth. I saw at once that the head must belong to a winged lion or bull, similar to those of Khorsabad and Persepolis.
51. oldal - I ascertained by the end of March the existence of a second pair of winged human-headed lions, differing from those previously discovered in form, the human shape being continued to the waist and furnished with arms. In one hand each figure carried a goat or stag, and in the other, which hung down by the side, a branch with three flowers.
47. oldal - Bey," exclaimed one of them — " hasten to the diggers, for they have found Nimrod himself. "Wallah, it is wonderful, but it is true ! we have seen him with our eyes. There is no God but God...
5. oldal - Greek, have left no visible traces of their civilization, or of their arts : their influence has long since passed away. The more he conjectures, the more vague the results appear. The scene around is worthy of the ruin he is contemplating ; desolation meets desolation ; a feeling of awe succeeds to wonder ; for there is nothing to relieve the mind, to lead to hope, or to tell of what has gone by. These huge mounds of Assyria made a deeper impression upon me, gave rise to more serious thought and...