Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
action advance appeared arms army arrived artillery attack battalion batteries battle Bengal boat bridge Brigade British called Captain carried cavalry close Colonel command companies complete consists constructed continued corps course direction distance effect enemy Engineers English feet field fire Foot force formed four French front garrison given grenadiers Guards guns hand head held horses India infantry island killed land latter Lieutenant Light looked Lord Major means ment miles military Miss morning moved Native naval never night officers once passed position present railway rank reached received regiment remained returned Rifle road round Royal Russian side Sikhs soldiers soon success Suvoroff taken tion town train troops turn whole wounded
308. oldal - I don't beat my drums here to ensnare or inveigle any man ; for you must know, gentlemen, that I am a man of honour ; besides, I don't beat up for common soldiers — no, I list only grenadiers — grenadiers, gentlemen.
192. oldal - Soon all the rearguard and heavy guns were inside our position; and then ensued a scene which baffles description. For eighty-seven days the Lucknow garrison had lived in utter ignorance of all that had taken place outside. Wives who had long mourned their husbands as dead, were again restored to them; others, fondly looking...
309. oldal - Then let us fill a bumper, and drink a health to those Who carry caps and pouches, and wear the looped clothes. May they and their commanders live happy all their years, With a tow, row, row, row, row, row, row, for the British grenadiers 1 ANONYMOUS.
2. oldal - We have instituted and created, and by these presents, for Us, Our heirs and successors, institute and create a new naval and military decoration, which We are desirous should be highly Prized and eagerly sought after by the officers and men of our naval and military services...
192. oldal - Once fairly SEEN, all our doubts and fears regarding them were ended: and then the garrison's long pent-up feelings of anxiety and suspense burst forth in a succession of deafening cheers; from every pit, trench, and battery — from behind the sand-bags piled on shattered houses — from every post still held by a few gallant spirits, rose cheer on cheer — even from the hospital!
106. oldal - The attack of the infantry now commenced, and the roll of fire from this powerful arm soon convinced the Sikh army that they had met with a foe they little expected...
191. oldal - Once fairly seen, all our doubts and fears regarding them were ended : and then the garrison's long pent-up feelings of anxiety and suspense burst forth in a succession of deafening cheers. From every pit, trench, and battery — from behind the sandbags piled on shattered houses — from every post still held by a few gallant spirits, rose cheer on cheer. Even from the hospital many of the wounded crawled forth to join in that glad shout of welcome to those who had so bravely come to our assistance.
2. oldal - ... any person be nominated unless his services shall have been marked by the. especial mention of his name by the admiral or senior naval officer commanding a squadron or detached naval force, or by the commander-inchief of the forces in the field, in despatches for meritorious or distinguished service in the field or before the enemy.
183. oldal - The enemy have followed us up, and we have now been besieged for four hours, and shall probably to-night be surrounded. The enemy are very bold, and our Europeans very low. I look on our position now as ten times as bad as it was yesterday ; indeed, it is very critical. We shall be obliged to concentrate if we are able. We shall have to abandon much supplies, and to blow up much powder. Unless we are relieved quickly, say in ten or fifteen days, we shall hardly be able to maintain our position.
3. oldal - House ; the wives and female relatives of Indian Princes ; and the wives or other female relatives of any of the persons who have held, now hold, or may hereafter hold, tho offices of Viceroy and Governor-General of India, Governors of Madras or Bombay, Principal Secretary of State for India, or Commander-m-CMef in India.