The Americana: A Universal Reference Library, Comprising the Arts and Sciences, Literature, History, Biography, Geography, Commerce, Etc., of the World, 17. kötet
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
Gyakori szavak és kifejezések
American amount appear Association became become body building called carried cars cause cent century Church common companies connected consists construction contains cost direction early effect electric employed engine England English equal established existing feet force four French give given hand head History important inches increased interest island Italy known land later less lines load locomotive machine means ment method miles natural obtained operation organized original passed pounds practice present probably province pump rail railway received represented result River road Roman secure side South speed station success term tion town track train United University usually various weight wheel York
18. oldal - In which it will also appear, that this Church is far from intending to depart from the Church of England in any essential point of doctrine, discipline, or worship ; or further than local circumstances require.
11. oldal - Consider what effects, that might conceivably have practical bearings, we conceive the object of our conception to have. Then, our conception of these effects is the whole of our conception of the object.
18. oldal - The two sacraments ordained by Christ himself - Baptism and the Supper of the Lord - ministered with unfailing use of Christ's words of Institution, and of the elements ordained by Him.
19. oldal - ... facie inexplicable on any generally recognized hypothesis, and which, if incontestably established, would be of the highest possible value. The task of examining such residual phenomena has often been undertaken by individual effort, but never hitherto by a scientific society organized on a sufficiently broad basis.
26. oldal - I thank God, there are no free schools nor printing, and I hope we shall not have these hundred years; for learning has brought disobedience, and heresy, and sects into the world, and printing has divulged them, and libels against the best government. God keep us from both!
32. oldal - Son was this day presented in the temple in substance of our flesh, so we may be presented unto thee with pure and clean hearts, by the same thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
26. oldal - ... and it is further ordered, that where any town shall increase to the number of one hundred families or householders they shall set up a grammar school, the master thereof being able to instruct youth so far as they may be fitted for the university...
19. oldal - These also are proverbs of Solomon, which the men of Hezekiah king of Judah copied out.
12. oldal - State, or if there be none, or in case of his removal, death, resignation or inability, then the Secretary of the Treasury...
26. oldal - It is therefore ordered, That every township in this jurisdiction, after the Lord hath increased them to the number of fifty householders, shall then forthwith appoint one within their town to teach all such children as shall resort to him to write and read, whose wages shall be paid either by the parents or masters of such children, or by the inhabitants in general...