The Lord Our Righteousness: A Sermon Preached in the Cathedral of Christchurch, Before the University of Oxford, on the Sunday Before Advent, November 24, 1839
B. Fellowes, 1839 - 34 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
accept according acts apply Author become blessed bring brought called cause Christian Church of Rome comfort confidence continue corruptions count cross dangers David desire divine doctrine doubt duty dwell efficacy eousness error evangelical exclusively external faith Father feel fold follow give God's gospel grace ground hear heart hold holy hope human importance instances interpretation Israel Jeremiah Judah justification king leads lest live look Lord Jesus Christ Lord our Righteousness means mercy merits moral nature necessary needful ness observed obtain once ourselves particular passage perfect persons preach principle profession Prophet received reference regard religion religious remember repent righteousness of Christ Sacraments salvation sanctified saved Saviour Scrip sheep Shepherd sight simply sinner sins soul speak Spirit teaching thing thought true truly truth turning unto voice watch whilst
6. oldal - And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.
31. oldal - But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord : for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ...
33. oldal - Hezekiah prayed for them, saying, The good Lord pardon every one that prepareth his heart to seek God, the Lord God of his fathers, though he be not cleansed according to the purification of the sanctuary.
5. oldal - Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth. In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, The Lord our Righteousness.
9. oldal - I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father, and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have which are not of this fold ; them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice, and there shall be one fold and one shepherd.
9. oldal - ... who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness ; by whose stripes ye were healed. For ye were as sheep going astray ; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.
33. oldal - One who knows our infirmities, and will accept us, according to what we have, not according to what we have not...
33. oldal - ... Woe is unto us, rather, if, so preaching it, we preach not the gospel ! Woe is unto us, if we preach any other righteousness but that of the Lord our God and Saviour, — any other holiness but His, who " only is Holy," — any other life but that which is hid with Christ in God.
10. oldal - Then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said, This is of a truth that prophet that should come into the world.
5. oldal - We only follow the general consent of interpreters, when we understand this passage in the sense in which it is evidently received by our Church, from its introduction in the Epistle of this day, as speaking of the Shepherd of shepherds, the King of kings, and Lord of lords, the blessed and only Potentate, the Lord Jesus Christ. It characterizes the future Restorer of Israel, in terms which refuse any other interpretation short of that which applies them to the person and office of the Redeemer....