The Geography and History of British America, and of the Other Colonies of the Empire: To which are Added a Sketch of the Various Indian Tribes of Canada, and Brief Biographical Notices of Eminent Persons Connected with the History of Canada
Maclear & Company, 1858 - 128 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
abundant acres American appointed Assembly boundaries Britain British Brunswick called Canadian capital chief chiefly civil climate coast College colony Company connected consists contains Council Counties Courts Crown Describe discovered districts divided divisions east Education England English Erie established Exercises exports extend Falls feet fish France French Give Governor Grand granted Gulf House Huron important Indian Iroquois island Italy John Lake land Lawrence laws Legislative legislature length Lord Lower Canada miles long Montreal Mountains nearly Newfoundland Niagara northern Nova Scotia numerous Ocean origin Ottawa passed peninsula places Point population Port principal Province Quebec Railway river rocks schools separate settled settlement situated southern square miles Strait Superior surface taken territory Toronto towns trade treaty tribes United United Empire Loyalists Upper Canada various visited Western wide York
123. oldal - On this question of principle, while actual suffering was yet afar off, they raised their flag against a power, to which, for purposes of foreign conquest and subjugation, Rome, in the height of her glory, is not to be compared ; a power which has dotted over the surface of the whole globe with her possessions and military posts, whose morning drum-beat, following the sun, and keeping company with the hours, circles the earth with one continuous and unbroken strain of the martial airs of England.
74. oldal - There is a river in the ocean. In the severest droughts it never fails, and in the mightiest floods it never overflows. Its banks and its bottom are of cold water, while its current is of warm. The Gulf of Mexico is its fountain, and its mouth is in the Arctic Seas.. It is the Gulf Stream.
12. oldal - It is bounded on the North by the Russian Possessions and British America, on the East by the Atlantic Ocean, on the South by the Gulf of Mexico, Texas, and Mexico, and on the West by the Pacific Ocean.
28. oldal - Lawrence, on the south by the Bay of Chaleurs, New Brunswick, and the States of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and New York, and on the southwest by the River Ottawa, Lake Temiskaming, and the province of Ontario.
13. oldal - Georgia, Vermont, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Louisiana, Indiana, Mississippi, Illinois, Alabama, Maine, Missouri, Arkansas, Michigan, Florida, Texas, Iowa, Wisconsin...
102. oldal - The United States is bounded on the north by the Dominion of Canada, on the east by the Atlantic Ocean, on the south by the Gulf of Mexico and the Republic of Mexico, and on the west by the Pacific Ocean; the Declaration of Independence was signed in 1776.
12. oldal - The Legislative power is vested in a Congress which consists of two branches — the Senate and the House of Representatives. The Senate consists of two members from each state, chosen by the legislature thereof, for the term of six years.
9. oldal - AFRICA is bounded on the North by the Mediterranean ; on the West by the Atlantic ; and on the East by the Indian Ocean and the Red Sea.