Christian Morality: Sermons on the Principles of Morality Inculcated in the Holy Scriptures, in Their Application to the Present Condition of Society
Leonard C. Bowles, 1833 - 336 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
according affection apostle authority bear become benevolence better blessing called character Christ Christian circumstances command common condition conduct death direction divine doctrine duty earth elevation enjoyment eternal evil existence expression fact faith feeling follow future give given glory Gospel hand happiness hath heart heaven hope human ignorance importance improvement individual influence instruction intellect interest judgment kind knew knowledge labor less light live look Lord man's means ment mental mind mission moral nature ness never object observance opinions ourselves particular passion perfect pleasure poor practical precept present principle Providence realized reason religion religious requires rest reward sense social society soul spirit strength suffering temptation things thought tion true truth universal unto virtue whole wisdom wise
38. oldal - Judge not, and ye shall not be judged : condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned : forgive, and ye shall be forgiven : give, and it shall be given unto you : good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
177. oldal - For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
201. oldal - And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying ; Great and marvellous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints; who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name ? for thou only art holy ; for all nations shall come and worship before thee ; for thy judgments are made manifest.
254. oldal - And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night ; and let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days,
155. oldal - There are a sort of men, whose visages Do cream and mantle like a standing pond; And do a wilful stillness entertain, With purpose to be dress'd in an opinion Of wisdom, gravity, profound conceit; As who should say, ' I am Sir Oracle, And, when I ope my lips, let no dog bark!
132. oldal - A continual dropping in a very rainy day and a contentious woman are alike.
266. oldal - Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and yc shall find rest for your souls.
101. oldal - And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honor, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.