was done on the spot. His remains lie in Tarbolton churchyard. The inscription on his monument is in the Appendix. -Ed.]

IEUTENANT NISBET and his party shot to death John

Fergushill, George Woodburn, and Peter Gemmel, in the

parish of Fenwick, in the said year. [They were shot at the time when John Nisbet of Hardhill (see P. 448) was apprehended and taken to Edinburgh. George Woodburn's sword-an Andrea Ferrara, of 40.1 inches in length—is still in the possession of one of his descendants, in the farm of Mains, in the parish of Loudon. Peter Gemmel was an ancestor of Robert Pollok, author of the “Course of Time," a native of the adjoining parish of Eaglesham. Hence, doubtless, the title of one of Pollok's “ Tales of the Covenanters ”—“Ralph Gemmel.” A monument to John Fergushill and George Woodburn is in Fenwick churchyard, and a separate one to Peter Gemmel. Their inscriptions are in the Appendix. -Ed.]

IEUTENANT MURRAY with his party, shot one John

Brown, after quarter given, at Blackwood, in Clydesdale,

March 1685. [Lieutenant Murray was going through the parish of Lesmahagow, and met him in the fields. He first promised him quarter, as he made no resistance; but in a few minutes, without process or sentence, he shot him near Blackwood, now a residence of W. E. Hope Vere, Esq., and said to be the original of the Milnwood of Sir Walter Scott's fiction. John Brown lies buried within a hundred yards to the east of the mansion-house. The inscription on his monument is in the Appendix.-ED.]

IEUTENANT CRICHTON did most barbarously, after

quarter, shoot David Steel, in the parish of Lesmahagow,

December [20], 1686. [David Steel was tenant of the farm of Nether Skellyhill, in the parish of Lesmahagow. He was at Bothwell Bridge, and henceforward he was a marked man. His name occurs on the fugitiveroll of 1684. So rigorous was the search made for him, that he dared not pass the night in his own house, but generally slept in a hut about four miles from Skellyhill, near the source of the Nethan. A writer in the “Edinburgh Christian Instructor” for 1830, says that the

traces of this hut are still preserved, and pointed out by the shepherds. In the close of 1686, he ventured to return to, and take up his stay at, Skellyhill. On December 20th, Lieutenant Crichton, with a detachment of horse and foot, came to the house. David Steel got the alarm shortly before they arrived, and slipped through a backwindow, and ran to the Logan water, about a quarter of a mile away, with the soldiers behind him in pursuit. He crossed, but in crossing he fell into the water, and wetted the powder of the musket he had taken with him. He still, however, continued his flight to the steep and bush-grown banks of the Nethan, about a mile away, where he would soon have stayed the progress of his pursuers. But ere he reached the Nethan, the dragoons were almost upon him, and his strength failed him ; while Crichton called him to surrender, and he should have quarter, and be taken to Edinburgh, and have a fair trial. David Steel surrendered on these terms; but Crichton had no intention of fulfilling them. He took him back to Skellyhill, where his wife, Mary Weir, had been watching his flight. With her only child in her arms, she ran to meet him. Crichton took David to the field before his own door, and ordered the dragoons to shoot him; but they reminded him of his promise to spare the man's life ; and on his peremptorily commanding them to fire, they declared they would neither shoot him nor see him shot, and mounted their horses, and rode off to Upper Skellyhill. Crichton now turned to his foot soldiers, who were Highlanders, and the ignorant savages had no scruples. They fired, and several balls pierced the martyr's head. The murderers immediately left, and when the neighbours arrived, they found the widow by the mangled corpse of her husband. Tradition relates that the first words which she was heard to utter were, "The archers have shot at thee, my husband, but they could not reach thy soul : it has escaped like a dove, far away, and is at rest!" And then, clasping her hands, she prayed, "Lord, give strength to thy handmaid that will prove she has waited for Thee, even in the way of Thy judgments.” Skellyhill is still tenanted by a descendant of Steel. Two thorn bushes near the house mark the place where he was murdered. A monument was erected in 1858 or 1859, within a few yards of the spot. The remains of Steel lie in Lesmahagow churchyard. The inscription on the monument over them is in the Appendix.—ED.)

HE laird of Stenhouse, Sir Robert Lawrie of Maxwelton, and

John Craik of Stewarton, did instigate and urge Cornet

Baillie and his party of dragoons to shoot William Smith in Hill (parish of Glencairn), after he had been prisoner one night (it was the day of Maxwelton's daughter's marriage), who also refused to let him be buried in the churchyard. This Douglas of Stenhouse, being a laird of mean estate, was advanced (for such services as this, and his excessive harassing, spoiling, and fining the people of God, and because he was a papist), to the honour of being secretary for Scotland to James the Seventh ; but the wicked's honour is short lived; his name is extinct, having neither root nor branch, male or female, nor any remembrance left unto him. The said Lawrie of Maxwelton's steward reported that a cup of wine delivered that day into his hand turned into congealed blood; but be that as it will, himself died by a fall from his horse some years after.

[William Smith was a young man of eighteen. Cornet Baillie of the garrison of Caitloch met him in the fields near his father's house, and had nothing against him save his refusal to answer the questions put to him. Notwithstanding, he took him prisoner to Caitloch. When his father heard of it he prevailed with his master, Lawrie of Maxwelton, to meet with Cornet Baillie at the kirk of Glencairn, to get, as he hoped, his son set free. That day, March 4th 1685, William Smith was brought before them, and still refusing to answer the questions put to him, Maxwelton immediately passed sentence of death upon him in virtue of the power he said he possessed as commissioner. Cornet Baillie called this sentence in question as illegal, unless he summoned a jury and tried him before it, but Maxwelton would hear of no delay, and threatened to report the cornet for sparing him so long. Accordingly he was carried out to the Racemoor, near by, and shot. He died, says Wodrow, with a great deal of holy composure and courage, and in full assurance of faith, declaring to the spectators that he suffered for no rebellion or any crime, but only for converse with the persecuted people as they came and went; and for refusing to discover their haunts and lurking places. He said much for the comfort of his parents when he took his farewell of them.—ED.)


IR JAMES JOHNSTONE of Westerhall caused apprehend

Andrew Hislop in the parish of Hutton in Annandale, and

delivered him up to Claverhouse, and never rested until he got him shot by Claverhouse his troopers. Claverhouse would have delayed it, but Westerhall was so urgent that Claverhouse was heard say “ This man's blood shall be upon Westerhall.” At length upon his urgency Claverhouse ordered a Highland (gentleman) captain of a company (traversing the country with him to do it, but he refused, and drawing off his Highlanders to a convenient distance, swore that "her nainsel would fight Claverhouse and all his dragoons first." Whereupon he caused three of his own dragoons do it, May (10th) 1685. It is observable of this Westerhall that he was once a great professor, and one who had sworn the Covenant, and when the Test was framed he bragged that he was an actual covenanter and scorned the Test; but when he had the trial he embraced it, and became a bitter enemy to the work and people of God, and this man having been taken in his ground he would have him shot to give proof of his loyalty. He died about the Revolution in great torture of body by the gravel, and horror, and anguish of conscience, insomuch that his cries were heard at a great distance from the house as a warning to all such apostates.

(Andrew Hislop was a young man, and lived, as did his brother and sisters, with his mother, a. pious woman. To her house one of the persecuted came in sickness, and in a few days died. Fearing punishment for reset and converse, Mrs Hislop and her sons buried the corpse under cover of night in a neighbouring field. The grave was discovered, and Sir James Johnstone came with a party of men and lifted the body. They soon found whence the corpse had come, and immediately went and stripped the widow's house of its contents, and pulled it to the ground, inflicting on the poor woman a computed loss of six hundred and fifty pounds Scots. While she and her family were thus forced to wander, Claverhouse, says Wodrow, and not Westerhall, fell upon Andrew Hislop in the fields, and brought him prisoner to Eskdale to Sir James Johnstone. Sir James immediately passed sentence of death upon him. Claverhouse was unwilling to execute the sentence, perhaps, says Wodrow, not wanting his own reflections upon John Brown of Priesthill's murder ten days before. At last he ordered the Highland captain, as narrated above. When the three dragoons were ready to fire, they

told Andrew to draw his bonnet over his


But Andrew refused to do so, and courageously told them he could look his death bringers in the face without fear, and that he had done nothing whereof he was ashamed; and holding up his Bible, which he had in his hand, charged them to answer for what they had done, and were to do, when at the great day they were to be judged by that book. His remains lie where he was shot at Craighaugh in Eskdale. The inscription on the monument over them is in the Appendix.Ed.]


VIR ROBERT GRIERSON of Lagg, having the command

of a part of Claverhouse's troop and Strachan's dragoons,

surprised John Bell of Whiteside, David Halliday, portioner of Mayfield, Andrew M‘Robert, James Clement, and Robert Lennox of Irelandtown, and barbarously killed them, after quarter, without time allowed to pray; when John Bell of Whiteside begged a little time to pray, Lagg answered, “What the devil have you been doing? Have you not prayed enough these many years in the hills ?” and so shot him presently in the parish of Tongland in Galloway, February 1685.

(John Bell of Whiteside in the parish of Anwoth, Kircudbrightshire, was the only son of the heiress of Whiteside, who after his father's death had married Viscount Kenmure. He was a man of piety and sagacity, and had suffered much since the battle of Bothwell Bridge, where he seems to have been. Immediately after the battle his house was plundered. In 1681 Claverhouse and a party of soldiers lay several weeks in his house, until they had devoured all the provisions they could find; and when they left they carried off all his sheep. For several years he dare not live under his own roof, but had to hide himself in the moors. Dr Simpson, in his “Gleanings among the Mountains," relates several traditional stories of narrow escapes he made from his enemies. It was in February 1685 that he at last fell into their hands. He and his four friends were upon the hill of Kirkconnel, in Tongland Parish, Kirkcudbrightshire, when they were taken and immediately shot. Shortly after the murder, Viscount Kenmure, Claverhouse, and Lagg met at Kirkcudbright, when the Viscount challenged the murderer for his cruelty to one whom he knew to be a gentleman, and nearly related to him, and especially that he would not permit his corpse to be buried. Lagg swore at him, and told him, “Take him if you will,

« ElőzőTovább »