The Portrait Gallery of Distinguished Poets, Philosophers, Statesmen, Divines, Painters, Architects, Physicians, and Lawyers, Since the Revival of Art: With Their Biographies, 1. kötet
W. S. Orr and Company, 1853
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
The Portrait Gallery of Distinguished Poets, Philosophers, Statesmen ...
Arthur Thomas Malkin
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2020
admiration afterwards ancient appears appointed authority became born called Cardinal cause celebrated character Charles church command completed conduct considered continued court death died distinguished Duke early edition effect employed engaged England English executed expressed father favour feeling Florence force fortune France friends gave give hand Henry honour important interest Italy King knowledge known language learning less letters lived Lord manner March master means mind nature never object observed obtained occasion opinions original painted Paris Parliament Parma party passed period picture poet Pope possession present Prince principles probably Protestant published Queen received Reformation remained remarkable respect returned Richelieu Rome says seems sent soon spirit style success taken talents thought took University various whole writings
212. oldal - ... our sage and serious poet Spenser, whom I dare be known to think a better teacher than Scotus or Aquinas...
292. oldal - I am persuaded his power and interest at that time were greater to do good or hurt than any man's in the kingdom, or than any man of his rank hath had in any time; for his reputation of honesty was universal, and his affections seemed so publicly guided, that no corrupt or private ends could bias them....
250. oldal - That the argument of his comedy might have been of some other nature, as of a duke to be in love with a countess, and that countess to be in love with the duke's son, and the son to love the lady's waiting-maid : some such cross wooing, with a clown to their servingman, better than to be thus near, and familiarly allied to the time.
75. oldal - I pray you Master Lieutenant, see me safe up, and for my coming down let me shift for myself.
23. oldal - Thus this brook has conveyed his ashes into Avon, Avon into Severn, Severn into the narrow seas, they into the main ocean; and thus the ashes of Wickliffe are the emblem of his doctrine, which now is .dispersed all the world over.
201. oldal - MP late a member of the said house, serving as one of the knights of...
235. oldal - It is most likely that he had learned Latin sufficiently to make him acquainted with construction, but that he never advanced to an easy perusal of the Roman authors. Concerning his skill in modern languages, I can find no sufficient ground of determination ; but as no imitations of French or Italian authors have been discovered, though the Italian poetry was then high in esteem, I am inclined to believe, that he read little more than English, and chose for his fables only such tales as he found...
169. oldal - She took me by the hand, and wrung it hard, and said, " No, Robin, I am not well," and then discoursed with me of her indisposition, and that her heart had been sad and heavy for ten or twelve days, and in her discourse she fetched not so few as forty or fifty great sighs. I was grieved at the first to see her in this plight ; for in all my lifetime before I never knew her fetch a sigh, but when the Queen of Scots was beheaded.