Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
advance amount appears appointed army arrived assist authority Bengal Bombay British Calcutta called Capt carried cause character charge chief China Chinese circumstances civil command communication Company conduct consequence considerable considered contained Court daughter directed ditto duty effect England establishment European express fact feeling foot force four give given hand hope important India inhabitants interest island John king lady land late letter Lieut Lord Madras manner March means measure ment miles military months native nature never object observed occasion officers opinion original party passed period Persian person possession present proceeded produce question received regt respect river sent ship Society taken thing tion trade troops whole
460. oldal - Single is each man born ; single he dies ; single he receives the reward of his good, and single the punishment of his evil, deeds.
260. oldal - There shall be left for every man who cultivates his lands as much as he requires for his own support till the next crop be reaped, and that of his family and for seed. This much shall be left to him, what remains is the land-tax and shall go to the public treasury.
459. oldal - The soul itself is its own witness; the soul itself is its own refuge: offend not thy conscious soul, the supreme internal witness of men!
457. oldal - A mansion with bones for its rafters and beams ; with nerves and tendons for cords ; with muscles and blood for mortar ; with skin for its outward covering; filled with no sweet perfume, but loaded with...
461. oldal - Though oppressed by penury, in consequence of his righteous dealings, let him never give his mind to unrighteousness ; for he may observe the speedy overthrow of iniquitous and sinful men.
301. oldal - OUR Gracious Queen, we present You with this Book, the most valuable thing that this world affords. Here is Wisdom ; This is the Royal Law ; These are the lively Oracles of God. Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the Words of this Book ; that keep, and do, the things contained in it. For these are the Words of Eternal Life, able to make you wise and happy in this world, nay wise unto salvation, and so happy for evermore, through Faith which is in Christ Jesus ; to whom be Glory for ever....
187. oldal - Travels in Palestine through the countries of Bashan and Gilead, east of the river Jordan ; including a visit to the cities of Geraza and Gamala, in the Decapolis..
495. oldal - Siraf, embarked for India, with his sole property, a cat: " There he fortunately arrived, at a time when the palace was so infested by mice or rats, that they invaded the king's food, and persons were employed to drive them from the royal banquet. Keis produced his cat, the noxious animals soon disappeared, and magnificent rewards were bestowed on the adventurer of Siraf, who returned to that city, and afterwards, with his mother and brothers, settled in the island, which, from him, has been denominated...
50. oldal - I am happy in assuring your lordship, that I have every reason to think that the introduction of slaves into the Mauritius has entirely ceased. It is possible that a few may still be taken to the Seychelles from the African coast ; but this can neither be well ascertained nor prevented, .until a small armed vessel shall be constantly stationed at that dependency...
313. oldal - Company, during a period of nearly .40 years ; in the course of which, after filling the highest offices under the Bengal government, he was more than six years a member of the Supreme Council, and held during some months of that time the station of Governor-General. And that the Court most sincerely participate in the sorrow which must be felt by his relations and friends on this lamented event.