The History of Normandy and of England: The three first dukes of Normandy: Rollo, Guillaume-Longue-Epée, and Richard-Sans-Peur. Richard Le-Bon. Richard III. Robert Le-Diable. William the Conqueror. 1864
Macmillan and Company, 1857
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
accepted according amongst antient appear Archbishop army Arnoul authority became become Bernard Bishop brought called Capet Carlovingian cause character Charles Christian Church City claimed command concerning conduct constituted continued Count Court Crown Danes danger Danish death determined Duchy Duke effected enemy ensued entered equally father favour forces France French fully gained Gauls Gerberga German given Grand granted Guillaume Longue-épée hands held Henry Herbert honour Hugh Hugh-le Hugh-le-Grand important influence Italy King King's kingdom land Laôn Lothaire Louis marched ment needful never Nobles Norman Normandy Northmen obtained Otho Otho's party political position possession prepared present Prince probably Raoul reason received reign rendered respect restoration returned Rheims Richard Robert Rollo Roman Rouen royal Saint Sovereign station success taken throne tion troops Vermandois whilst whole young
67. oldal - Why suppress the lesson afforded by the depravity of the "greatest, wisest, meanest of mankind" — he whose defilements teach us that the most transcendent intellectuality is consistent with the deepest turpitude ? The labours of the panegyrist come, after all, to naught. — You are trying to fill a broken cistern — You may cut a hole in the stuff, but you cannot wash out the stain. — Forget the worse than meaningless phrase, which represents the stiffened corpse as standing at the bar, and...
279. oldal - Leisure is good and necessary up to a point only. God created man to eat his bread in the sweat of his brow, and I dread the prospect of our being able to produce all that we want, including our foodstuffs, out of a conjurer's...
915. oldal - Author. 5s. Churchman's Guide to the Use of the English Liturgy. By the same. 3s. 6d. First Sundays at Church. By the same Author.
915. oldal - Lectures on the Characters of our Lord's Apostles. 3s. 6d. Lectures on the Scripture Revelations respecting good and Evil Angels. By the same Author. 3s. 6d. View of the Scripture Revelations respecting a Future State. Seventh Edition. By the same Author.
915. oldal - Edition. 2s. 6d. The Book of the Fathers, and the Spirit of their Writings. 9s. 6d. Babylon and Jerusalem : a Letter to Countess of Hahn-Hahn. 2s. 6d. History of the Church of England.
917. oldal - DD, Head Master of Harrow School. Octavo. 7s. 6d. Sermons Preached in the Chapel of Harrow School. By the same Author. Second Series. 12s. Sermons preached before the University of Oxford.
911. oldal - Edition. Two Volumes. Octavo. 30s. System of Logic. By the same. Cheaper Edition. Two Volumes. 25s. Goethe's Opinions on Mankind Literature, Science, and Art. 3s. 6d. The Roman Empire of the West. By R. CONGRRVE, MA 4s. On the Credibility of the Early Roman History. By the Right Hon.
911. oldal - In volumes. 2s. 6d., in cloth. Chaucer. Eight Volumes. 20s. Thomson. Two Volumes. 5s. Shakspeare's Poems. 2s. 6d. Butler. Three Volumes. 7s. 6d. Dryden. Three Volumes. 7s. 6d. Cowper. With Selections from Lloyd, Cotton, Brooke, Darwin, and Hayley. Three Volumes. 7s. 6d. Surrey, Minor Contemporaneous Poets, and Lord Buckhurst. 2s. 6d.