Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
Abulfeda ancient apostle Arabian Arabs arms army arts authority battle blood body C H A Caled caliph camp captives century character Charlemagne chief Chosroes Christians church command companions conqueror conquest Constantine Constantinople d'Herbelot Damascus danger death East Egypt emperor empire enemies equal eyes faith father five force four Gagnier gold Greeks hands head Hist holy honour horse human hundred ignorance images Italy king Koran laws learned less lives Mahomet Mecca Medina merit Moslems nature never numbers Omar Orient original palace peace perhaps Persian person Pocock pope prayer present princes prophet province reign religion respectable returned Roman Rome Saracens seven siege soldiers spirit subjects success successor sword Syria thousand throne tion tribes victory virtue worship XLIX XLVIII youth
174. oldal - life and victory to Charles, the most pious Augustus, crowned by " God the great and pacific emperor of the Romans...
256. oldal - According to the tradition of his companions, Mahomet was distinguished by the beauty of his person, an outward gift which is seldom despised, except by those to whom it has been refused. Before he spoke, the orator engaged on his side the affections of a public or private audience. They applauded his commanding presence, his majestic aspect, his piercing eye, his gracious smile, his flowing beard, his countenance that painted every sensation of the soul, and his gestures that enforced each expression...
260. oldal - The faith which, under the name of Islam,* he preached to his family and nation, is compounded of an eternal truth, and a necessary fiction, THAT THERE is ONLY ONE GOD, AND THAT MAHOMET IS THE APOSTLE OF GOD.
381. oldal - Destroy NO palm-trees, nor burn any fields of corn. Cut down no fruit trees, nor do any mischief to cattle, only such as you kill to eat. When you make any covenant or article, stand to it, and be as good as your word.
439. oldal - of the Greeks agree with the hook of God, they are useless and " need not be preserved : if they disagree, they are pernicious and
318. oldal - Ayesha, the best beloved of all his wives ; he fainted with the violence of pain ; recovering his spirits, he raised his eyes towards the roof of the house, and, with a steady look, though a faltering voice, uttered the last broken, though articulate, words : " O God ! pardon my sins Yes, I come, among my fellow-citizens on high :" and thus peaceably expired (AD 632.
288. oldal - At the dead of night, accompanied by his friend Abubeker, he silently escaped from his house: the assassins watched at the door: but they were deceived by the figure of Ali, who reposed on the bed, and was covered with the green vestment of the apostle.
259. oldal - Mahomet that his prospect was far extended beyond the limits of the Arabian world. From every region of that solitary world the pilgrims of Mecca were annually assembled, by the calls of devotion and commerce; in the free concourse of multitudes, a simple citizen, in his native tongue, might study the political state and character of the tribes, the theory and practice of the Jews and Christians. Some useful strangers...