Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
American appearance Barbados become believe Bermuda better British called canal carried Central certainly cloth colony coloured comes Costa Rica course Cuba doubt Edition England English five four French give Governor ground Guiana half hands head hundred Illustrations island Jamaica Kingston labour lady land less live look Maps matter means miles mountain nature negro never officers once Panama passed perhaps planter Post 8vo present probably produce race railway reached regards respect river road San José Second seems seen shillings side soon Spanish speak stand sugar taken things Thomas thousand told town travelling Vols walk West Indies whole wish
14. oldal - Tobacco : Its History and Associations ; with an Account of the Plant and its Manufacture, and its Modes of Use in all Ages and Countries. By F. W. FAIRHOLT, FSA With Coloured Frontispiece and upwards of 100 Illustrations by the Author.
14. oldal - Costume in England. A HISTORY OF DRESS, from the Earliest Period until the close of the Eighteenth Century ; with a Glossary of Terms for all Articles of Use or Ornament worn about the Person. "By FW FAIRHOLT, FSA With upwards of 600 Engravings, drawn on Wood by the Author.
19. oldal - Lewis — Chess for Beginners, IN A SERIES OF PROGRESSIVE LESSONS. Showing the most approved methods of beginning and ending the Game, together with various Situations and Checkmates. With Twenty-four Diagrams printed in Colours. By WILLIAM LEWIS. Third Edition. Small 4to, cloth.
13. oldal - Arranged to meet the requirements of the Syllabus of the Science and Art Department of the Committee of Council on Education, South Kensington.
393. oldal - ... not the waves, but the very bowels of the ocean. He will feel as though the floods surrounded him, coming and going with their wild sounds, and he will hardly recognize that though among them he is not in them. And they, as they fall with a continual roar, not hurting the ear, but musical withal, will seem to move as the vast ocean waters may perhaps move in their internal currents. He will lose. the sense of one continued descent, and think that they are passing round him in their appointed...
16. oldal - Transcaucasia. SKETCHES OF THE NATIONS AND RACES BETWEEN THE BLACK SEA AND THE CASPIAN. By BARON VON HAXTHAUSEN. With eight Coloured Illustrations by GRAEB.
392. oldal - In the spot to which I allude the visitor stands on a broad safe path, made of shingles, between the rock over which the water rushes and the rushing water. He will go in so far that the spray rising back from the bed of the torrent does not incommode him. With this exception, the...
92. oldal - The negro's idea of emancipation" Trollope wrote, "was and is emancipation not from slavery but from work. To lie in the sun and eat breadfruit and yams is his idea of being free. Such freedom as that has not been intended for man in this world; and I say that Jamaica, as it now exists, is still under a devil's ordinance.
392. oldal - For the first five minutes he will be looking but at the waters of a cataract—at the waters, indeed, of such a cataract as we know no other, and at their interior curves which elsewhere we cannot see. But by-and-by all this will change. He will no longer be on a shingly path beneath a waterfall; but that feeling of a cavern wall will grow upon him, of a cavern deep, below roaring seas, in which the waves are there, though they do not enter in upon him; or rather, not the waves, but the very bowels...