Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
able according actually already ancient antiquity appeared archaeological archaeologists Aztec Babylon Babylonian became began brought building built called carried Carter century Champollion completely covered culture dead Diego de Landa discovered discovery Dynasty early earth Egypt Egyptian Empire excavations eyes face fact feet figures finally force four gave gold grave Greek hand head hieroglyphs human hundred important inscriptions interest Italy King kingdom Knossos known land language later Layard less light lived looked material Mayan means Middle mound mummy Museum never once original palace period Persian pieces priests pyramids remains royal ruins says Schliemann seemed showed side signs Stephens stone taken temple things thought thousand tion Today tomb took Tower treasure turned walls whole writing wrote
286. oldal - Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
243. oldal - And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth. He was a mighty hunter before the LORD: wherefore it is said, Even as Nimrod the mighty hunter before the LORD. And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar.
253. oldal - And he will stretch out his hand against the north, and destroy Assyria; and will make Nineveh a desolation, and dry like a wilderness. And flocks shall lie down in the midst of her, all the beasts of the nations: both the cormorant and the the bittern shall lodge in the upper lintels of it...
340. oldal - The sight of this unexpected monument put at rest, at once and for ever, in our minds, all uncertainty in regard to the character of American antiquities, and gave us the assurance that the objects we were in search of were interesting, not only as the remains of an unknown people, but as works of art, proving, like newly-discovered historical records, that the people who once occupied the Continent of America were not savages.
254. oldal - This is not the work of men's hands," exclaimed he, "but of those infidel giants of whom the Prophet, peace be with him ! has said, that they were higher than the tallest date tree ; this is one of the idols which Noah, peace be with him ! cursed before the flood.
344. oldal - It lay before us like a shattered bark in the midst of the ocean ; her masts gone, her name effaced, her crew perished, and none to tell whence she came, to whom she belonged, how long on her voyage, or what caused her destruction...
311. oldal - In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened. And the rain was upon the earth forty days and
260. oldal - ... ornaments, we issue from between the winged lions, and enter the remains of the principal hall. On both sides of us are sculptured gigantic, winged figures ; some with the heads of eagles, others entirely human, and carrying mysterious symbols in their hands. To the left is another portal, also formed by winged lions. One of them has, however, fallen across the entrance, and there is just room to creep beneath it. Beyond this portal is a winged figure, and two slabs with bas-reliefs ; but they...
253. oldal - This is the rejoicing city that dwelt carelessly, that said in her heart, I am, and there is none beside me: how is she become a desolation, a place for beasts to lie down in!