Reason, the Only Oracle of Man, Or, A Compendious System of Natural Religion
G.W. & A.J. Matsell, 1836 - 180 oldal
"Col. Allen composed the following work; which, on account of the bold and unusual manner, particularly in this country, that the subject of religion is treated, he had great difficulty to get published. The author explains, "I have generally been denominated a Deist, the reality of which I never disputed, being conscious I am no Christian, except mere infant baptism make me one; and as to being a Deist, I know not, strictly speaking, whether I am one or not, for I have never read their writings; mine will therefore determine the matter; for I have not in the least disguised my sentiments, but have written freely without any conscious knowledge of prejudice for, or against any man, sectary or party whatever; but wish that good sense, truth and virtue may be promoted and flourish in the world, to the detection of delusion, superstition, and false religion: and therefore any errors in the succeeding treatise, which may be rationally pointed out, will be readily rescinded"--Preface. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2008 APA, all rights reserved).
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
Reason, the Only Oracle of Man; Or, A Compendius System of Natural Religion
Korlátozott előnézet - 2019
according admit agency alteration angel answer appears arguments authority believe body called cause Chap chapter character Christians command completely concerning consequently considered consistent contained contradiction creation depraved devil disciples divine doctrine doubt earth equally eternal evidence evil existence faith father finite follow gave give given hand happiness heaven Holy human ideas immediate impossible imputation infinite inspiration Israel Jerusalem Jesus Jesus Christ John justice kind king knowledge learning less Lord Luke mankind manner Mark Matt matter Matthew means mentioned mind miracles moral Moses narrative nature never original particular perfection person possible present Priests promise proof prophecy prophet providence punishment rational reason receive relates religion respective revelation says sense spirit story supposed tell things thou tion told true truth understand universe unto virtue whole wisdom writings written
65. oldal - I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell ; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell : God knoweth ;) such an one caught up to the third heaven. And I knew such a man, (whether in the body or out of the body, I cannot tell : God knoweth ;) how that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
56. oldal - And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
58. oldal - And they came to the place which God had told him of ; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood. And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son.
76. oldal - And God said, Behold I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed ; to you it shall be for meat.
55. oldal - Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
56. oldal - Now when they were going, behold, some of the watch came into the city, and shewed unto the chief priests all the things that were done.
49. oldal - Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us ? see thou to that. And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.
59. oldal - So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD. And he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Beth-peor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day.
53. oldal - And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth for ever that it shall be for a time, times, and an half; and when he shall have accomplished to scatter the power of the holy people, all these things shall be finished.