The life of Samuel Johnson ... together with The journal of a tour to the Hebrides. New eds. with notes and appendices by A. Napier. [Followed by] Johnsoniana, ed. by R. Napier, 3. kötet
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
The Life of Samuel Johnson ... Together with the Journal of a Tour to the ...
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2015
acquaintance admirable affection afterwards allow answer appeared asked attention believe Bishop BOSWELL called character common concerning consider conversation dear Sir death desire died dined edition expected expressed favour gave give given hand happy hear heard honour hope instance John Johnson kind known lady Langton late learning less letter Lichfield literary lived London look Lord Madam manner means mentioned merit mind Miss natural never night obliged observed occasion once opinion particular passed perhaps person pleased pleasure pounds present published reason received relations remark respect Reynolds seems seen sent servant Sir Joshua sometimes soon speak suppose sure talk tell thing thought Thrale tion told wish write written wrote young
372. oldal - Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.
473. oldal - Canst thou not minister to a mind diseased ; Pluck from the memory a rooted sorrow ; Raze out the written troubles of the brain ; And, with some sweet oblivious antidote, Cleanse the stuff'd bosom of that perilous stuff Which weighs upon the heart ? Doct.
322. oldal - That the influence of the Crown has increased, is increasing, and ought to be diminished ? "
389. oldal - tis all a cheat; Yet, fooled with hope, men favour the deceit; Trust on, and think to-morrow will repay: To-morrow's falser than the former day; Lies worse, and, while it says, we shall be blest With some new joys, cuts off what we possest. Strange cozenage! None would live past years again, Yet all hope pleasure in what yet remain; And, from the dregs of life, think to receive, What the first sprightly running could not give. I'm tired with waiting for this chemic gold, Which fools us young, and...
477. oldal - Signed, sealed, published and Declared by the said Testator as and for his last Will and Testament in the Presence of us who in his presence and at his request and in the presence of each other have subscribed our names as Witnesses thereto.
201. oldal - See, what a grace was seated on this brow ; Hyperion's curls; the front of Jove himself; An eye like Mars, to threaten and command...
176. oldal - Follow'd false lights; and when their glimpse was gone, My pride struck out new sparkles of her own. Such was I, such by nature still I am; Be thine the glory, and be mine the shame. Good life be now my task; my doubts are done: What more could fright my faith, than Three in One?
328. oldal - I went to bed, and in a short time waked and sat up, as has been long my custom, when I felt a confusion and indistinctness in my head, which lasted, I suppose, about half a minute. I was alarmed, and prayed God, that however he might afflict my body, he would spare my understanding. This prayer, that I might try the integrity of my faculties, I made in Latin verse.
217. oldal - And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom ; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, and came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
78. oldal - ... uncomfortable his home was made by the perpetual jarring of those whom he charitably accommodated under his roof. He has sometimes suffered me to talk jocularly of his group of females, and call them his Seraglio. He thus mentions them, together with honest Levett, in one of his letters to Mrs. Thrale : 1 "Williams hates every body ; Levett hates Desmoulins, and does not love Williams ; Desmoulins hates them both ; Poll 2 loves none of them.