An Essay on the Character of the Apostles and Evangelists: Designed to Prove that They Were Not Enthusiasts : Containing the Substance of Several Discourses
C. Dilly, in the Poultry, 1798 - 335 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Gyakori szavak és kifejezések
Acts affert againſt alfo alſo apoſtles appeared argument attention authority becauſe believe chap character Chrift Chriſtianity church claim clear conduct confider converts death direct divine doctrines effect enthufiafm enthuſiaſm epiftles eſtabliſhed event evidence extravagance facts faith fame fanaticiſm fanatics fays fect feems fhall fhould firſt fome frequently fubject fuch fully furely give gofpel hand himſelf human immediate important inftances inſpiration Jefus Jewiſh Jews John judge language Lord Lord's Luke manner Mark Matt means mind miracles morality moſt muſt nature neceffary never obfcurity obferve object opinions original paffages particular Paul perfecution perfons preaching principles proofs prophecy prove readers reaſon received relate religion religious remark ſeems Spirit teachers thefe themſelves theſe things thofe thoſe tion true truth unto uſe virtue whole writers wrought
286. oldal - And he took the blind man by the hand, and led him out of the town; and when he had spit on his eyes, and put his hands upon him, he asked him if he saw ought. 24 And he looked up, and said, I see men as trees, walking.
269. oldal - Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind ; neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
96. oldal - Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.
237. oldal - I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; for kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
232. oldal - But meat commendeth us not to God : for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
173. oldal - Ghost, by love unfeigned, by the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, by honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report : as deceivers, and yet true ; as unknown, and yet well known ; as dying, and, behold, we live ; as chastened, and not killed ; as sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing ; as poor, yet making many rich ; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.
233. oldal - All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient : all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
182. oldal - Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep ; in journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren...
208. oldal - Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.
286. oldal - And they bring unto him one that was deaf, and had an impediment in his speech; and they beseech him to put his hand upon him. And he took him aside from the multitude, and put his fingers into his ears, and he spit, and touched his tongue; and looking up to heaven, he sighed, and saith unto him, Ephphatha, that is, Be opened.