An introduction to the controversy on the disputed verse of st. John, as revived by mr. Gibbon. To which is added, Christian theocracy, or, A second letter to mrs. Joanna Baillie, on the doctrine of the Trinity
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
according Acts ancient answer Apostle argument Arian assertion attributes authenticity authority beginning believe called century chapter charge Christ Christianity Church Clarke conclusion contained controversy controverted Verse copies death defence Deity disputed Verse distinct doctrine edition Editors eighth Verse enemy Epistle Epistle of St equally eternal evidence expressed extant faith Father fourth fraud genuine Gibbon Gospel Greek MSS heaven Heavenly History Holy Ghost Holy Spirit impartial Incarnation infinite Inquirer interpretation Jesus John Latin learned Letters Lord manuscript nature Note objections omit opinion opponents origin orthodox passage period positions Preface present printed probably proof proved question quoted readers recorded relate remarkable says Scrip Scripture Scripture Doctrine seen sense seventh Verse synonymous Testament testimony third Three Divine Persons Three Persons threefold testimony tion translated Trinity true truth unity unto Version whole witness writers written
49. oldal - And he that saw it bare record, and his record is true; and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe.
60. oldal - ROMANS p)AUL, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, (which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh, and declared to be the Son of .God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead...
56. oldal - And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water : and the eunuch said, See, here is water ; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
52. oldal - And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
51. oldal - Jesus began both to do and teach, until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the Apostles whom he had chosen...
53. oldal - Galileans ? and how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
65. oldal - For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another divers kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
58. oldal - Take heed, therefore, unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the Church of God. which he hath purchased with his own blood.
69. oldal - I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.