Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
acid adapted Allenheads apparatus Art Court Austria beds Belgium blocks bridge British Guiana Brothers Brown building carbonate carriage China Class clay coal colour Committee construction copper cotton crystals cylinder Diemen's Land Ditto engine Exhibition exhibitor feet flax frame France Gallery girders glass improved inches India Inventor and Manufacturer iron ironstone John lead lime limestone Lord Harris machine machinery Main Avenue metal mineral Mines Model of life-boat motion Nenthead Netherlands North Areas A. B. obtained ornamental Patent plates Portugal produced pump purposes quarries rails Railway rollers roof Royal Russia Samples Sardinia screw self-acting ship side Silk silver slate Smith Sons South South Wales Spain Specimens spindle steam steam-engine stone Street sulphate sulphur Sweden Switzerland thickness Thomas tons Tunis Turkey Tuscany United various Vein vessels Wales weight West Western Africa wheels White William wood xxii xxix xxvi yarn zinc Zollverein
7. oldal - ... we are living at a period of most wonderful transition, which tends rapidly to accomplish that great end to which, indeed, all history points, the realization of the Unity of Mankind!
15. oldal - Presents will and ordain that this Our Commission shall continue in full force and virtue, and that you, Our said Commissioners, or any three or more of you, may from time to time proceed in the execution thereof, and of every matter and thing therein contained, although the same be not continued from time to time by adjournment: And...
8. oldal - Science discovers these laws of power, motion, and transformation ; industry applies them to the raw matter which the earth yields us in abundance, but which becomes valuable only by knowledge ; art teaches us the immutable laws of beauty and symmetry, and gives to our productions forms in accordance with them.
8. oldal - Gentlemen, the Exhibition of 1851 is to give us a true test and a living picture of the point of development at which the whole of mankind has arrived in this great task, and a new starting point from which all nations will be able to direct their further exertions.
14. oldal - We do, by these Presents, give and grant to you, or any three or more of you, full power and authority to call before you, or any three or more of you...
182. oldal - ... filled up •while the central or moister portion, continuing to excite a more rapid growth of the moss, it would be gradually raised above the edges, until the whole surface had attained an elevation sufficient to discharge the surface water by existing channels of drainage, and calculated by its slope to facilitate their passage, when a limit would be, in some degree, set to its further increase.
183. oldal - The loss is here 30 per cent., a proportion which makes all the difference between a good fuel and one almost unfit for use. When turf is dried in the air, under cover, it still retains one-tenth of its weight of water, which reduces its calorific power 12 per cent., 1 Ib.
39. oldal - I confidently hope that the first impression which the view of this vast collection will produce upon the spectator will be that of deep thankfulness to the Almighty for the blessings which he has bestowed upon us already here below, and the second, the conviction that they can only be realized in proportion to the help which we are prepared to render to each other, therefore only by peace, love and ready assistance not only between individuals but between the Nations of the Earth.
8. oldal - ... placed within the reach of everybody; thought is communicated with the rapidity and even by the power of lightning. On the other hand, the great principle of division of labour, which may be called the moving power of civilization, is being extended to all branches of science, industry, and art. Whilst formerly the greatest mental energies strove at universal knowledge, and that knowledge was confined to the few, now they are directed to specialities, and in these again even to the minutest points;...
7. oldal - The distances which separated the different Nations and parts of the Globe are gradually vanishing before the achievements of modern invention and we can traverse them with incredible ease, the languages of all Nations are known and their acquirement placed within the reach of everybody; thought is communicated with the rapidity and even the power of lightning.