Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
added afforded alkali Annals of Philosophy appeared became become blow-pipe blue bodies boiled calamine calx of zinc carbonate chemical collected colour composition compound considerable considered consist containing copper crystals dissolved distilled water Duke earth effects effervescence elements entirely existence experiments exposed facts fire flame fluid glass grains green heat immediately Institution iron James jelly knowledge lead least lime liquor London marine acid mass matter means melted metallic method mineral minute mixture muriate native nature notes object observed obtained occasioned opaque oxide Paris pieces portion potash powder precipitate present probably produced proportions pure quantity relation remained remarks Royal saline salt scientific seemed silver Smithson Society soda solution species substance sulphuret sulphuric Tabasheer taste tion transparent ulmin United vegetable vitriolic acid weighed whole yellow zinc
30. oldal - Smithson should be invested, when received, by the Secretary of the Treasury, with the approbation of the President of the United States...
17. oldal - British empire, a public institution for diffusing the knowledge and facilitating the general introduction of useful mechanical inventions and improvements, and for teaching, by courses of philosophical lectures and experiments, the application of science to the common purposes of life.
17. oldal - A glance at the names of a few of the great organizations instituted in different parts of the world at the close of the last and beginning of the present century will...
5. oldal - ... satisfactory determinations. With a few pieces, not exceeding half a cubic inch in size, of tabasheer, a substance found in the hollow of bamboo canes, he made over two hundred and fifty different experiments. * The value which Smithson placed on such minute researches is incidentally shown by a remark in his paper on " fluorine." He says, " there may be persons who, measuring the importance of the subject by the magnitude of the object, will cast a supercilious look on this discussion ; but...
112. oldal - ... of a grain, it will be counterpoised by one of the small gold weights placed at the first, or second, or third, or fourth division. If on the contrary it weigh one grain and a fraction, it will be counterpoised by the heavy gold weight at the extremity, and one or more of the lighter ones placed in some other part of the beam.
27. oldal - July last to apply to persons versed in science and familiar with the subject of public education for their views as to the mode of disposing of the fund best calculated to meet the intentions of the testator and prove most beneficial to mankind.
56. oldal - Paris, 1819. Bibliotheca Parisiana. A catalogue of a collection of books formed by a gentleman in France.
23. oldal - Eush had been Comptroller of the United States Treasury at a time when the fiscal affairs of the government were in disorder ; he was next Attorney-General; then minister to England for a period of eight years; Secretary of the Treasury ; and minister to France. " To these great and varied employments,