Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
advantage allowed animal appear attention Bank beauty Boards body called cause character Christian circumstances common conduct consequence considerable considered contains continued course desire directed effect England English equal expressed eyes facts favour former France French frequently friends give given ground hand head idea important inhabitants instance interest island kind labour land late learned less letter live Lord manner means measure mind nature necessary never notes notice object observations occasion opinion original particular passage passed perhaps period persons political possessed practice present principles produce prove reader reason received regard relations remarks respect says seems short side situation spirit supposed taken thing thought tion various volume whole wish writer
52. oldal - my son, I will tell you a secret worth your VOL. III. Q knowing and remembering. The elevation I have met with in life, particularly this last instance of it, has not been owing to any superior merit or abilities, but to my humility; to my not having set up myself above others, and to an uniform endeavour to pass through life void of offence towards God and man.
218. oldal - YE, who with warmth the public triumph feel Of talents dignified by sacred zeal, Here, to devotion's bard devoutly just, Pay your fond tribute due to Cowper's dust ! England, exulting in his spotless fame, Ranks with her dearest sons his favourite name.
162. oldal - Creator in the days of thy youth," is big with the deepest wisdom: "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; and, an upright heart, that is understanding." This is eternally true, whether the wits and rakes of Cambridge allow it or not: nay, I must add of this religious wisdom, "Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace," whatever your young gentlemen of pleasure think of a whore and a bottle, a tainted health and battered constitution.
213. oldal - There is somewhere in infinite space a world that does not roll within the precincts of mercy, and as it is reasonable, and even scriptural, to suppose that there is music in Heaven, in those dismal regions perhaps the reverse of it is found; tones so dismal, as to make woe itself more insupportable, and to acuminate even despair.
208. oldal - If I trifle, and merely trifle, it is because I am reduced to it by necessity - a melancholy, that nothing else so effectually disperses, engages me sometimes in the arduous task of being merry by force. And, strange as it may seem, the most ludicrous lines I ever wrote have been written in the saddest mood, and, but for that saddest mood, perhaps had never been written at all.
211. oldal - He thinks that he is skilfully searching the hearts of others, when he is only gratifying the malignity of his own, and charitably supposes his hearers destitute of all grace, that he may shine the more in his own eyes by comparison. When he has performed this notable task, he wonders that they are not converted: ' he has given it them soundly, and if they do not tremble, and confess that God is in him of a truth, he gives them up as reprobate, incorrigible, and lost for ever.
163. oldal - I would however venture to call it, benevolence in trifles, or the preference of others to ourselves in little daily, hourly, occurrences in the commerce of life. A better place, a more commodious seat, priority in being helped at table, 8cc.
301. oldal - Parma, the colony or province of Louisiana, with the same extent that it now has in the hands of Spain, and that it had when France possessed it; and such as it should be after the treaties subsequently entered into between Spain and other states.
42. oldal - Dear is that shed to which his soul conforms, And dear that hill which lifts him to the storms; And as a child, when scaring sounds molest, Clings close and closer to the mother's breast, So the loud torrent, and the whirlwind's roar, But bind him to his native mountains more.