Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
acid alkalies ammonia anatomists aneurism aneurismal sac animals aorta appears artery barytes basis of potash basis of soda becomes blood body brain causes cavity cellular sheath cellular substance cerebellum cineritious matter circumstances coagulum colour combustion convulsive debility decomposition degree disease earths effects electricity experiments external Fahrenheit fever fibres filaments flock fluid foetus formed Gall and Spurzheim globule grains heart heat hydrogen inches inflammation labour ligature manner medicine medulla oblongata medullary membrane mercury Merino metallic muriate naphtha nature negative nerves nostril observed operation optic nerve organs oxyds oxygen pain pass patient peritoneum physician platina pons varolii portion produced Professor proper coats proportion pyramidal eminences quantity reversed action rupture sheep side society solution Spain specific gravity spinal marrow stomach supposed surface Surgeons symptoms temperature thalami thoracic aorta tion tube tumor ulceration uric acid urine vessels wire wool
ii. oldal - Co. of the said district, have deposited in this office the title of a book, the right whereof they claim as proprietors, in the words following, to wit : " Tadeuskund, the Last King of the Lenape. An Historical Tale." In conformity to the Act of the Congress of the United States...
ii. oldal - In conformity to the act of Congress of the United States, entitled, " An act for the encouragement of learning, by securing the copies of maps, charts and books, to the authors and proprietors of such copies, during the times therein mentioned ;
83. oldal - On this idea, in naming the bases of potash and soda, it will be proper to adopt the termination which, by common consent, has been applied to other newly discovered metals, and which, though originally Latin, is now naturalized in our language.
82. oldal - ... indicated by these experiments was, for potash 17, and for soda 26 parts in 100, and the smallest 13, and 19 ; and comparing all the estimations, it will probably be a good approximation to the truth, to consider potash as composed of about six parts basis and one of oxygen ; and soda, as consisting of seven basis and two oxygen. VII. Some general Observations on the Relations of the Bases of Potash and Soda to other Bodies. Should the bases of potash and soda be called metals ? The greater number...
60. oldal - A small piece of pure potash, which had been exposed for a few seconds to the atmosphere, so as to give conducting power to the surface, was placed upon an insulated disc of platina, connected with the negative side of the battery of the power of 250 of 6 and 4, in a state of intense activity ; and a platina wire, communicating with the positive side, was brought in contact with the upper surface of the alkali.
59. oldal - The presence of water appearing thus to prevent any decomposition, I used potash in igneous fusion. By means of a stream of oxygene gas from a gasometer applied to the flame of a spirit lamp, which was thrown on a platina spoon containing potash, this alkali was kept for some minutes in a strong red heat, and in a state of perfect fluidity. The spoon was preserved in communication with the positive side of the battery of...
58. oldal - I had the honour of presenting to the Royal Society last year, I described a number of decompositions and chemical changes produced in substances of known composition by electricity, and I ventured to conclude from the general principles on which the phenomena were capable of being explained, that the new methods of investigation promised to lead to a more intimate knowledge than had hitherto been obtained, concerning the true elements of bodies.
84. oldal - The discovery of the agencies of the gases destroyed the hypothesis of Stahl. The knowledge of the powers and effects of the ethereal substances may at a future time possibly act a similar part with regard to the more refined and ingenious hypothesis of Lavoisier; but in the present state of our knowledge, it appears the best approximation that has been made to a perfect logic of chemistry.
61. oldal - Soda, when acted upon in the same manner as potash, exhibited an analogous result ; but the decomposition demanded greater intensity of action in the batteries, or the alkali was required to be in much thinner and smaller pieces. With the battery of 100 of 6 inches in full activity I obtained good results from pieces of potash weighing from 40 to 70 grains, and of a thickness which made the distance of the electrified metallic surfaces nearly a quarter of an inch ; but with a similar power it was...
83. oldal - The greater number of philosophical persons to whom this question has been put, have answered in the affirmative. They agree with metals in opacity, lustre, malleability, conducting powers as to heat and electricity, and in their qualities of chemical combination. Their low specific gravity does not appear a sufficient reason for making them a new class ; .for amongst the metals themselves there are remarkable differences in this respect, platina being nearly four times as heavy as tellurium * ;...