Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
action allowed appeared appointed arms army arrived attack battle Bermuda body British called Capt Captain carried cause cavalry charge close Colonel command conduct considered continued corps course directed Ditto duty effect employed enemy feeling fire Foot force formed four French give Government Guards guns hand head honour hope horse hour infantry interest island John July June land late Lieut light Lord Major manner means miles military month natives nature naval navy necessary never object observed occasion officers passed period persons Port present promotion rank received regiment remained respect round Royal sailed seen sent served ship side situation soldiers soon station taken tion took troops vessel vice whole wounded
527. oldal - ... tried by the bitterest calamities; by the want of meat, of fire, and of clothes; by the importunity of creditors, by the insolence of booksellers, by the derision of fools, by the insincerity of patrons, by that bread which is the bitterest of all food, by those stairs which are the most toilsome of all paths, by that deferred hope which makes the heart sick.
241. oldal - That provision should be viewed, as it really was, a reasonable compensation offered by Congress, at a time when they had nothing else to give to the officers of the army for services then to be performed. It was the only means to prevent a total dereliction of the service. It was a part of their hire. I may be allowed to say, it was the price of their blood, and of your independency ; it is therefore more than a common debt, it is a debt of honor; it can never be considered as a pension or gratuity,...
517. oldal - It has a strange quick jar upon the ear, That cocking of a pistol, when you know A moment more will bring the sight to bear...
252. oldal - Jan. 1 1. [The Queen has been pleased to direct Letters Patent to be passed under the Great Seal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, granting the dignity of a Baron of the said United Kingdom unto Alfred Tennyson, Esq., and the heirs male of his body lawfully begotten...
523. oldal - For in the hand of the LORD there is a cup, and the wine is red: it is full of mixture, and he poureth out of the same : but the dregs thereof, all the wicked of the earth shall wring them out, and drink them.
112. oldal - LET it be granted that a straight line may be drawn from any one point to any other point.
109. oldal - ... command of his superior officer, shall suffer death, or such other punishment as shall, according to the nature of his offence, be inflicted upon him by the sentence of a courtmartial.
51. oldal - ... of us. Picton took off his hat, and holding it over his eyes as a shade from the sun, looked sternly but anxiously at the French. The clatter of the horses and the clanking of the scabbards were so great when the right half squadron moved up, that many thought it the forerunner of a general charge. Some mounted officer called out, ' Had we not better form square ?' ' No,' replied Picton ; ' it is but a ruse to frighten us ; but it won't do.
467. oldal - Besides the diameter of the sun is 111 times as great as that of the earth, and at its surface, a heavy body would fall through no less than 450 feet in a single second ; so that if every other circumstance permitted human beings to re'side on it, their own weight would present an insuperable difficulty, since it would become thirty times as great as upon the surface of the earth, and a man of moderate size would weigh above two tons.