An Inquiry Into the General Principles of Scripture Interpretation: In Eight Sermons Preached Before the University of Oxford, in the Year MDCCCXIV, at the Lecture Founded by the Late Rev. John Bampton, M.A., Canon of Salisbury
University Press for the author; sold by Parker, 1815 - 421 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
An Inquiry Into the General Principles of Scripture Interpretation: In Eight ...
William Van Mildert
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2015
according acknowledge admit ages Apostles appear application attainments authority believe called character Christ Christian Church claim concerning consideration considered controversy Covenant difficulties direct Dispensations disposition distinction Divine doctrine effect entirely equally error essential evidence expressions Faith Fathers figurative fundamental gifts give Gospel ground hand Holy Holy Writ human immediate important infallible inquiry instruction intended interpretation John judgment kind knowledge learning less light literal Lord matters means ment mind moral mystical nature necessary necessity object observes opinions Oracles ordinary particular perfection persons points powers present principles quæ quam question quod reason receive reference regard Religion religious respect Revealed rule Sacred says Scrip Scripture sense SERMON shew sions sound speak spiritual sufficient supposed taken things tion true truth understanding unto whole wisdom Writings
263. oldal - ... but speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ : From whom the whole body fitly joined together, and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body, unto the edifying of itself in love.
x. oldal - Printing-House, between the hours of ten in the morning and two in the afternoon, to preach eight Divinity Lecture Sermons, the year following, at St. Mary's in Oxford, between the commencement of the last month in Lent Term and the end of the third week in Act Term.
278. oldal - THE Church hath power to decree Rites or Ceremonies, and authority in Controversies of Faith : And yet it is not lawful for the Church to ordain any thing that is contrary to God's Word written, neither may it so expound one place of Scripture, that it be repugnant to another. Wherefore, although the Church be a witness and a keeper of holy Writ, yet, as it ought not to decree any thing against the same, so besides the same ought it not to enforce any thing to be believed for necessity of Salvation.
54. oldal - My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee, so that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding; yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding ; if thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures ; then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God.
21. oldal - For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but, as it is. in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
295. oldal - For this God is our God for ever and ever : He shall be our guide unto death.
x. oldal - University, and one copy to the Head of every College, and one copy to the Mayor of the city of Oxford, and one copy to be put into the Bodleian Library; and the...
30. oldal - Is not this the carpenter's son ? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas? And his sisters, are they not all with us?
65. oldal - We are of God. He that knoweth God, heareth us; he that is not of God, heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.