« ElőzőTovább »
bial elements. 68. Give and decline the pronouns, and mention the antecedent of each. 69. Wbat beds are meant ? what chambers ! what chasm? 70. To what is yet opposed in meaning? 71. What is contrasted with the beds ascended ?72. What mode and tense is must pass ? 73. Is there an ellipsis at the end of the sentence? if so, supply it. 74. Parse the, before sooner. 75. What does also modify ?
76. Tell how the sentences in this extract seem different from those in any other extract given. 77. Try whether you can with any satisfaction rewrite any of them. 78. Is there any unusual word in the extract ? 79. Can you discover any more peculiar, or more complicated, sentences here than in Lesson LXVI. 80. Does the grammatical analysis of the sentence reveal the difference between this extract and that in Lesson LXVIII, as a piece of composition? Are you satisfied, then, to stop in your study of language with what this book teaches ?
GENERAL QUESTIONS TO COMPLETE THE FINAL
81. What is a sentence? What are the kinds, and how is each constructed ?
82. What is an element in analysis ? Illustrate by means of a sentence.
83. Name and define the six grammatical elements.
91. Give an example of each kind of objective element, naming each.
92. What offices does the participle perform ?
94. What kinds of comparison are made in sentences ? Give an illustration of each.
95. Write a synopsis of connectives.
96. Give some illustrations of the manner of abridging propositions.
97. Give the syntax of the adjective in all its uses.
98. Give an example of each kind of verb as to form, signification, etc.
99. How are idea-words combined into elements and sentences ? 100. What is the relation of speech to grammar ?
Webster's School Dictionaries in their revised form constitute a progressive series, carefully graded and especially adapted for Primary Schools, Common Schools, High Schools, Academies, etc. They have all been thoroughly revised, entirely reset, and made to conform in all essential points to the great standard authority--Webster's International Dictionary. WEBSTER'S PRIMARY SCHOOL DICTIONARY .
48 cents Containing over 20,000 words and meanings, with over 400 illustrations.
WEBSTER'S COMMON SCHOOL DICTIONARY.
72 cents Containing over 25,000 words and meanings, with over 500 illustrations. WEBSTER'S HIGH SCHOOL DICTIONARY
98 cents Containing about 37,000 words and definitions, and an appendix giving a pronouncing vocabulary of Biblical, Classical, Mythological, Historical, and Geographical proper names, with over 800 illustrations.
WEBSTER'S ACADEMIC DICTIONARY.
$1.50 Abridged directly from the International Dictionary, and giving the orthography, pronunciations, definitions and synonyms of the large vocabulary of words in common use, with an appendix containing various useful tables, with over 800 illustrations. The Same, Indexed
The Same, Indexed
In Roan Flexible
In Roan Tucks
Copies of any oj Webster's Dictionaries will be sent prepaid to any
address, on receipt of the price, by the Publishers:
American Book Company
Butler's School English
75 cents A brief, concise and thoroughly practical manual for use in connection with the written English work of secondary schools. It has been prepared specially to secure definite results in the study of English, by showing the pupil how to review, criticise, and improve his own writing. Quackenbos's Practical Rhetoric Cloth, 12mo, 477 pages ·
$1.00 This book develops, in a perfectly natural manner, the laws and principles which underlie rhetorical art, and then shows their use and application in the different processes and kinds of composition. It is clear, simple, and logical in its treatment throughout, original in its departure from technical rules and traditions, copiously illustrated with examples for practice, and calculated to awaken interest and enthusiasm in the study. A large part of the book is devoted to instruction and practice in actual composition work, in which the pupil is encouraged to follow and apply genuine laboratory methods. Waddy's Elements of Composition and Rhetoric Cloth, 12mo, 416 pages
$1.00 A complete course in Composition and Rhetoric, with copious exercises in both criticism and construction. It is inductive in method, lucid in style, orderly in arrangement, and clear and comprehensive in treatment. Sufficiently elementary for the lower grades of high school classes and complete enough for all secondary schools.
Copies of the above books will be sent prepaid to any address, on receipt
of the price, by the Publishers :
American Book Company