The Debates and Proceedings in the Congress of the United States: With an Appendix, Containing Important State Papers and Public Documents, and All the Laws of a Public Nature; with a Copious Index ... [First To] Eighteenth Congress.--first Session: Comprising the Period from [March 3, 1789] to May 27, 1824, Inclusive. Comp. from Authentic Materials, 1. kötet
Gales and Seaton, 1856
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
adopted agreed Alabama amendment amount appointed appropriation authorize Barbour believed bill Branch called canals cents claims commerce Committee Congress consider consideration Constitution cotton court debt district duty effect election Electors entitled An act equal establish favor foreign further gentlemen give Government granted Hayne Holmes House House of Representatives hundred imported increase Indian interest John Johnson Kentucky King land late Lloyd Louisiana Lowrie Maine manufactures March Massachusetts means memorial ment Messrs military Mills motion moved Navy necessary object officers opposed ordered passed persons petition postponed praying present President principle proceeded produce proposed protection Public Lands question received referred relation relief remarks reported resolution respect roads Secretary Senate Smith submitted taken Taylor Territory third thought tion trade United vessels Virginia vote Whole York
21. oldal - With the movements in this hemisphere we are of necessity more immediately connected, and by causes which must be obvious to all enlightened and impartial observers. The political system of the allied powers is essentially different in this respect from that of America. This difference proceeds from that which exists in their respective governments.
295. oldal - The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spake to me, He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God. And he shall be as the light of the morning, when the sun riseth, even a morning without clouds; as the tender grass springing out of the earth by clear shining after rain.
649. oldal - Harmony, and a liberal intercourse with all nations, are recommended by policy, humanity, and interest. But even our commercial policy should hold an equal and impartial hand ; neither seeking nor granting exclusive favors or preferences ; consulting the natural course of things ; diffusing and diversifying, by gentle means, the streams of commerce, but forcing nothing...
13. oldal - In the discussions to which this interest has given rise and in the arrangements by which they may terminate the occasion has been judged proper for asserting, as a principle in which the rights and interests of the United States are involved, that the American continents, by the free and independent condition which they have assumed and maintain, are henceforth not to be considered as subjects for future colonization by any European powers.
595. oldal - ... the nation, and to those internal concerns which affect the states generally ; but not to those which are completely within a particular state, which do not affect other states, and with which it is not necessary to interfere for the purpose of executing some of the general powers of the government. The completely internal commerce of a state, then, may be considered as reserved for the state itself.
387. oldal - The electors shall meet in their respective states and vote by ballot for president and vice president, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves; they shall name in their ballots the person voted for as president, and in distinct ballots the person voted for as vice...
523. oldal - I took a single captive, and having first shut him up in his dungeon, I then looked through the twilight of his grated door to take his picture.
43. oldal - Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, (two thirds of both Houses concurring,) That the following amendments to the Constitution of the United States...
743. oldal - An act enabling the claimants to lands within the limits of the State of Missouri and Territory of Arkansas to institute proceedings to try the validity of their claims...