Tobacco: Its History and Associations; Including an Account of the Plant and Its Manufacture; with Its Modes of Use in All Ages and Countries
Chatto and Windus, 1876 - 332 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
allowed America ancient appears bearing beautiful bowl called carried century character Charles cigars clay cloth extra collection Coloured Complete containing copied Crown 8vo curious custom described descriptive draw drink early edges Edition England English Engravings exhibited fashion figure fire French gilt give given half half-morocco hand head herb History Illustrations Imperial Indian indulged Introduction Italy James John kind King known ladies late leaf leaves light live London manufactured means mode mouth nature never nose Notes numerous Original ornament persons pinch pipe placed plant Plates poem popular Portrait pound present printed published represented roll round Royal says Series shillings smoking snuff sometimes termed tobacco took trade Translated tube Vols volume whole wood
25. oldal - Complete Angler; or, The Contemplative Man's Recreation : being a Discourse of Rivers, Fishponds. Fish and Fishing, written by IZAAK WALTON ; and Instructions how to Angle for a Trout or Grayling in a clear Stream, by CHARLES COTTON.
2. oldal - Cyclopaedia of Costume ; or, A Dictionary of Dress — Regal, Ecclesiastical, Civil, and Military — from the Earliest Period in England to the reign of George the Third. Including Notices of Contemporaneous Fashions on the Continent, and a General History of the Costumes of the Principal Countries of Europe. By JR PLANCHE, Somerset Herald.
13. oldal - MEYRICK'S PAINTED ILLUSTRATIONS OF ANCIENT ARMS AND ARMOUR: A Critical Inquiry into Ancient Armour as it existed in Europe, but particularly in England, from the Norman Conquest to the Reign of Charles II.
19. oldal - The Art of Amusing : A Collection of Graceful Arts, Games, Tricks, Puzzles, and Charades. By FRANK BELLEW.
23. oldal - Thackerayana : Notes and Anecdotes. Illustrated by a profusion of Sketches by WILLIAM MAKEPEACE THACKERAY, depicting Humorous Incidents in his School-life, and Favourite Characters in the books of his everyday reading. With Hundreds of Wood Engravings, facsimiled from Mr.
6. oldal - With Additions by Professors AGASSIZ, PIERCE, and GRAY; 12 Maps and Engravings on Steel, some Coloured, and copious Index.
21. oldal - Sheridan's Complete Works, with Life and Anecdotes. Including his Dramatic Writings, printed from the Original Editions, his Works in Prose and Poetry, Translations, Speeches, Jokes, Puns, &c. With a Collection of Sheridaniana. Crown 8vo, cloth extra, gilt, with 10 fullpage Tinted Illustrations, 7s.
15. oldal - Complete in Three Vols. Vol. I. contains the Plays complete, including the doubtful ones; Vol. II. the Poems and Minor Translations, with an Introductory Essay by ALGERNON CHARLES SWINBURNE.
13. oldal - It is to be regretted that the prose writings of Milton should, in our time, be so little read. As compositions, they deserve the attention of every man who wishes to become acquainted with the full power of the English language. They abound with passages compared with which the finest declamations of Burke sink into insignificance. They are a perfect field of cloth of gold. The style is stiff with gorgeous embroidery. Not even in the earlier books of the Paradise Lost...