Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
advantages already appeared arms army attempt authority become Buenos Ayres called capital Carrera carried cause character Chili circumstance civil colonies command commerce common conduct considerable considered contains continually course districts doubt effect enemies entirely equal established Europe European executive fact favor feelings force give given greater hands head hundred idea important increased independence Indians inhabitants interest junta kind known least less liberty manner marched means ment military mind mines Monte native nature necessary never observed occasion officers opinion Paraguay party patriots persons Peru plains Plata political population possession present principal probably produce provinces reason received regarded render respect river San Martin side situation South America Spain Spaniards Spanish success taken thing thousand tion town trade United whole
342. oldal - Westward the course of empire takes its way ; The four first acts already past, A fifth shall close the drama with the day ; Time's noblest offspring is the last.
2. oldal - In conformity to the act of the Congress of the United States, entitled, « An act for the encouragement of learning, by securing the copies of maps, charts, and books, to the authors and proprietors of such copies, during the times therein mentioned.
117. oldal - Art thou, too, fallen, Iberia ? Do we see The robber and the murderer weak as we ? Thou ! that has wasted earth and dared despise Alike the wrath and mercy of the skies, Thy pomp is in the grave ; thy glory laid Low in the pit thine avarice has made.
326. oldal - Tis liberty alone that gives the flower Of fleeting life its lustre and perfume ; And we are weeds without it. All constraint, Except what wisdom lays on evil men, Is evil...
106. oldal - The plan in my opinion ought to be — a fleet of Great Britain, an army of the United States, a government for the liberated territory agreeable to both the co-operators, about which there will be no difficulty. To arrange the plan a competent authority from Great Britain to some person here, is the best expedient. Your presence here will, in this case, be extremely essential. We are raising an army of about twelve thousand men. General Washington has resumed his station at the head of our armies....
369. oldal - They have chased our vessels, sacked our sea-coasts, murdered defenceless inhabitants,without sparing clergymen, and those in extreme old age ; by the order of General Pezuela, they burnt the town of Puno, and meeting with no others, they put to the sword old men, women, and children. They have excited atrocious conspiracies among the Spaniards residing in the midst of us, imposing upon us the painful necessity of putting to death the fathers of numerous families. They have compelled our brothers...
371. oldal - ... pardon. It is in the name of Ferdinand of Bourbon that the heads of patriot officers, prisoners, are fixed up in the highways, that they beat and stoned to death a commandant of light troops, and that, after having killed Colonel...
106. oldal - But this can now scarcely be the case. The winter, however, may mature the project, and an effectual co-operation by the United States may take place. In this case I shall be happy, in my official station, to be an instrument of so good a work.
367. oldal - Antesana to be shot, and, observing with complacency, from the balcony of his house, this iniquitous assassination, ferociously cried out to his troops not to shoot the victim in the head, as it was wanted to be stuck upon a pike.
362. oldal - All public offices and employments belonged exclusively to the Spaniards; and although Americans were equally called to them by the laws, they were appointed only in rare instances, and even then not without satiating the cupidity of the Court by enormous sums of money. Of one hundred and seventy Viceroys that have governed in this country, but four of them have been.