Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
Travels in the Interior Districts of Africa ... in ... 1795,1796 and 1797 ...
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2018
according Africa Agadez allowed appears arrived authority Bambarra banks bearing branch brought called capital carried circumstances cloth coast collected common concerning considerable considered continued corn course D'Anville departed described direction distance east eastward Edrisi extent falls four frequently Gambia geographical Ghana give going gold ground hand head horse inhabitants Jarra journies kind king kingdom lake latitude longitude manner means miles Moors morning mountains natives nature nearly Negroes Niger night Nile o'clock observed Park Park's particular passed person position present probably proceed quantity quarter reached received remained respecting river road route salt sand says season seems seen Sego Senegal sent side situated slaves soon stream supposed taken thought told Tombuctoo took town travelled tree village whole woods
272. oldal - ... from the size of a pin's head to that of a pea, scattered through a large body of sand or clay, and in this state it is called by the Mandingoes sanoo munko (gold powder).
314. oldal - Abdul-kader, answer me this question : If the chance of war had placed me in your situation, and you in mine, how would you have treated me?' 'I would have thrust my spear into your heart,' returned Abdul-kader with great firmness ; ' and I know that a similar fate awaits me.
224. oldal - I could not contemplate the delicate conformation of its roots, leaves, and capsule without admiration. Can that Being (thought I), who planted, watered, and brought to perfection, in this obscure part of the world, a thing which appears of so small importance, look with unconcern upon the situation and sufferings of creatures formed after his own image ? — surely not ! Reflections like these would not allow me to despair ; I started up, and disregarding both hunger and fatigue, travelled forwards,...
146. oldal - Th« gracefulness of figure and motion, and a countenance enlivened by expression, are by no means essential points in their standard: with them, corpulence and beauty appear to be terms nearly synonymous. A woman, of even moderate pretensions must be one who cannot walk without a slave under each arm to support her; and a perfect beauty is a load for a camel.
170. oldal - I cast (as I believed) a last look on the surrounding scene, and whilst I reflected on the awful change that was about to take place, this world with its enjoyments seemed to vanish from my recollection.
314. oldal - I would have thrust my spear into your heart/' returned Abdulkader with great firmness ; " and I know that a similar fate awaits me." " Not so," said Damel ; " my spear is indeed red with the blood of your subjects killed in battle, and I could now give it a deeper stain by dipping it in your own ; but this would not build up my towns, nor bring to life the thousands who fell in the woods. I will not, therefore, kill you in cold blood, but I will retain you as my slave, until I perceive that your...
269. oldal - And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me?
171. oldal - ... face and arms ; and I was obliged to mount my horse, and stop under a bush, to prevent being suffocated. The sand continued to fly in amazing quantities for near an hour, after which I again set forward, and travelled with difficulty until ten o'clock. About this time I was agreeably surprised by some very vivid flashes of lightning, followed by a few heavy drops of rain. In a little time the sand...
304. oldal - ... an operation I did not wish to see performed, and therefore marched onwards with the foremost of the coffle. I had not walked above a mile, when one of Karfa's domestic slaves came up to me, with poor Nealee's garment upon the end of his bow, and exclaimed Nealee affeclecta (Nealee is lost).