Astronomy Explained Upon Sir Isaac Newton's Principles: And Made Easy to Those who Have Not Studied Mathematics : to which are Added, a Plain Method of Finding the Distances of All the Planets from the Sun, by the Transit of Venus Over the Sun's Disc, in the Year 1761 : an Account of Mr. Horrox's Observation of the Transit of Venus in the Year 1639 : And, of the Distances of All the Planets from the Sun, as Deduced from Observations of the Transit in the Year 1761
Matthew Carey, 1809 - 533 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
according angle anomaly appears attraction axis beginning body called carried cause centre circle clock comes conjunction dark degrees described diameter disc distance Earth Earth's centre eclipse egress equal equator fall figure fixed former four full Moon given globe goes greater greatest half hand heavens horizon inclined July June Jupiter keep latitude length less letter light London March mean Mercury meridian miles minutes month Moon Moon's morning motion move never night node noon north pole observed opposite orbit parallax parallel pass path period planets plate proportion quarter respect rising round satellites seconds seen Sept shadow shew side signs solar stars style Sun's suppose surface third tides tion transit tropic true turn Venus Venus's visible wheel whole
420. oldal - And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.
419. oldal - Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.
419. oldal - Know therefore and understand, That from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem, unto the Messiah the prince, shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
6. oldal - IDE, of the said District, hath deposited in this office, the title of a book, the right whereof he claims as proprietor, in the words following, to wit : " Inductive Grammar, designed for beginners. By an Instructer." In conformity to the act of the Congress of the United States...
420. oldal - And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself. And the people of the Prince, that shall come, shall destroy the city and the sanctuary : and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.
6. oldal - An Act for the Encouragement of Learning, by securing the copies of Maps, Charts, and Books, to the authors and proprietors of such copies during the time* therein mentioned," and extending the benefits thereof to the arts of designing, engraving, and etching historical and other prints.
383. oldal - Aries, the Ram ; Taurus, the Bull ; Gemini, the Twins : Cancer, the Crab ; Leo, the Lion ; Virgo, the Virgin ; Libra, the Balance ; Scorpio, the Scorpion ; Sagittarius, the Archer ; Capricornus, the Goat ; Aquarius, the Water-bearer ; and Pisces, the Fishes.
60. oldal - ... wisely ordered by the Author of nature; for if the axis of this planet were inclined any considerable number of degrees, just so many degrees round each pole would in their turn be almost six of our years together in darkness. And as each degree of a great circle on Jupiter contains...
263. oldal - ... or entirely, intercepts our view of the sun ; the one is called a total, the other a partial, eclipse. Thus the solar eclipse is nothing more than the situation in which the earth is placed when the shadow of the moon falls upon it, and consequently, properly speaking, it is only an eclipse of that part of the earth where the moon's shadow falls. Hence we learn that the sun is not really darkened, but is only for a short space concealed from us by the intervention of another body, whilst he still...