The Book of Religions: Comprising the Views, Creeds, Sentiments, Or Opinions of All the Principal Religious Sects in the World, Particularly of All Christian Denominations in Europe and America : to which are Added Church and Missionary Statistics, Together with Biographical Sketches
J. Hayward, 1842 - 432 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
according America apostles appear authority Baptist became believe Bishop body Book born called cause century character Christian church congregation consequence considered consists continued death denomination died divine doctrine duty earth England equal established eternal evil existence faith Father friends give given gospel grace hands happiness heart heaven hold Holy human hundred Indians Italy Jesus Christ John kingdom knowledge labors learning living Lord maintain manner means meeting mind ministers missionaries missions moral nature necessary never opinions original perfect person practice preach present principles profession published Quaker reason received reformation regard religion religious repentance respect rule sacraments salvation Scriptures sect sense sins society soon soul Spirit things thousand tion true truth United universal unto views whole worship York
121. oldal - The offering of Christ once made is that perfect redemption, propitiation, and satisfaction, for all the sins of the whole world, both original and actual ; and there is none other satisfaction for sin, but that alone.
416. oldal - I have a short and plain answer: let him study the Holy Scripture, especially the New Testament; therein are contained the words of eternal life : it has God for its author, Salvation for its end, and Truth, without any mixture of error, for its matter...
210. oldal - Lo, the poor Indian! whose untutored mind Sees God in clouds, or hears him in the wind: His soul, proud science never taught to stray Far as the solar walk or Milky Way: Yet simple Nature to his hope has given.
24. oldal - And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you ; and to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake.
192. oldal - Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection ; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
105. oldal - Et incarnatus est de Spiritu Sancto, ex Maria Virgine; et homo factus est; crucifixus etiam pro nobis; sub Pontio Pilato passus et sepultus est. Et resurrexit tertia die secundum scripturas...
293. oldal - Thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I will lift up mine hand to the Gentiles, and set up my standard to the people: and they shall bring thy sons in their arms, and thy daughters shall be carried upon their shoulders. And kings shall be thy nursing fathers, and their queens thy nursing mothers...
70. oldal - Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone ; if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church : but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
45. oldal - Transubstantiation (or the change of the substance of Bread and Wine) in the Supper of the Lord, cannot be proved by holy Writ; but is repugnant to the plain words of Scripture, overthroweth the nature of a Sacrament, and hath given occasion to many superstitions.
118. oldal - The Old Testament is not contrary to the New ; for both in the Old and New Testament everlasting life is offered to mankind by CHRIST, who is the only mediator between GOD and man, being both GOD and man. Wherefore they are not to be heard, which feign, that the old fathers did look only for transitory promises.