Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
ALFRED NUTT Apollo Arthur believe buffaloes bull bull-baiting called charm clan Class custom dairy formula daughter dead death Deirdre duppy EDWARD CLODD evil fact father fire Folk-Lore Society folklore Frazer girl gods Golden Bough Gorlagon Greek Guernsey hand head Heracles Hesych Irish killed kind King Korateu Kuudr kwarzam Levarcham Libanza LL.D magic magic and religion married Medb Miss mother myth Naisi native nature night Nutt object old Jenkyns origin Pauly-Wissowa Paus Pelasgian person Poseidon prayer priest primitive religion rite Roscher round sacred schol Schurtz seen spell spirit stone story Sultan superstition tale tell theory tion told took totem tree tribes Triopas village W. H. D. Rouse W. H. R. Rivers werwolf wife witch wolf woman words xvii young Zeus
190. oldal - For this shall every ^one that is godly pray unto thee in a time when thou mayest be found : surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh unto him. 20 Thou art my hiding place ; thou shall preserve me from trouble ; thou shall compass me about with songs of deliverance.
13. oldal - In primis hoc volunt persuadere, non interire animas, sed ab aliis post mortem transire ad alios, atque hoc maxime ad virtutem excitari putant metu mortis neglecto. Multa praeterea de sideribus atque eorum motu, de mundi ac terrarum magnitudine, de rerum natura, de deorum immortalium vi ac potestate disputant et iuventuti tradunt.
360. oldal - The fatal flaw of magic lies not in its general assumption of a sequence of events determined by law, but in its total misconception of the nature of the particular laws which govern that sequence.
131. oldal - Meeting were read and confirmed. The election of the following new Members was announced, viz. : Mr. AC Dawson, the Rev. E. Magri, the Los Angelos (California) Public Library, and the Field Columbian Museum (Chicago). The Secretary exhibited some photographs of " Bull Pitchers " from Stamford in Lincolnshire, and read a descriptive paper by Miss Peacock, upon which Mr.
3. oldal - IN THE CHAIR. THE minutes of the last Annual Meeting were read and confirmed. The...
286. oldal - Agamemnon.' Zeus, — by what name soe'er He glories being addressed, Even by that holiest name I name the Highest and Best. On him I cast my troublous care, My only refuge from despair : Weighing all else, in Him alone I find Relief from this vain burden of the mind.
312. oldal - ... to the surface of the spring, but not deep into it ; and the water being stirred, there rises a mist-like vapour, and in a little the vapour becomes a cloud, and gathering other clouds to itself it causes rain to fall on the land of Arcadia3.
359. oldal - In both of them the succession of events is perfectly regular and certain, being determined by immutable laws, the operation of which can be foreseen and calculated precisely, the elements of caprice, of chance, and of accident are banished from the course of nature.
364. oldal - Yet though magic is thus found to fuse and amalgamate with religion in many ages and in many lands, there are some grounds for thinking that this fusion is not primitive, and that there was a time when man trusted to magic alone for the satisfaction of such wants as transcended his immediate animal cravings.