campaign of 1761, and was present at the battle of Fellinghausen; was in 1762 appointed, by purchase, Lieutenant in the same regiment, and continued therein until the conclusion of the war, and the return of the British troops to England, when, being a supernumerary Lieutenant, he was reduced upon halfpay. After waiting four years in expectation of being placed upon full pay without purchase, he effected an exchange with a Lieutenant of the Royal Fusileers. In March, 1773, he embarked with that regiment for Quebec, and in the following year was sent to England on the recruiting service; in March, 1775, having raised a sufficient number of recruits to complete the regiment, he embarked with them at Gravesend, and arrived at Quebec the 17th of May following. A few days afterwards the Fusileers were ordered to march to the frontiers of Canada, in consequence of the American rebels having surprised and taken the small detachments at Ticonderoga, Crown Point, and St.John's, upon the Sorell river near Lake Champlain. The rebels having retired with the prisoners, the Fusileers took post at St. John's with a detachment of 150 men, and a proportionate number of officers; and were employed in constructing a redoubt, and strengthening the post, until September, when the rebels advanced with a corps of 7000 men, and besieged that redoubt, and another constructed by a detachment of the 26th regiment. The siege continued seven weeks and four days, the three last weeks the troops were on two thirds allowance of provisions, and being reduced to three days' allowance, and the ammunition nearly expended, and without hopes of relief, were under the necessity of surrendering to the rebels, 1775. In Dec. 1776, Lieut. Despard was exchanged with the regiment, and joined the army under the command of Sir Wm. Howe at New York; he was appointed Captain-Lieutenant of the Fusileers, March 25. 1777, and shortly afterwards Captain of a company. He served the campaign of 1777, in the light infantry, and was at the assault and taking of Fort Montgomery, on the North River. In June, 1778, he was appointed Major to a corps raised by the Earl of Moira in America, the formation and discipline of which was solely under his direction (the Lieutenant-Colonel being employed on the Staff); he had the honour of receiving the Commander

WOL. xiv.

in-Chief's thanks for the good order, appearance, and discipline of the regiment, when reviewed and inspected by him, about four months after their formation. In December, 1779, he was appointed Deputy Adjutant-General to the army, and sailed with the fleet and army for South Carolina, and was present at the siege and surrender of Charlestown ; he continued in South Carolina as Deputy Adjutant-General to the army left there under the command of the Marquess Cornwallis, and accompanied his Lordship in all his campaigns in South and North Carolina and Virginia, until the surrender of his army at York Town to the combined forces of France and America. In 1782 he returned to England on parole, and joined the Fusileers as Captain and brevet Major on their return from America, after the conclusion of the war. In June, 1788, he was appointed Major of the Fusileers, and in 1790, he sailed with that regiment for Gibraltar; in 1791, he returned to England, and in July was appointed Lieutenant-Colonel of the Fusileers : he again joined that regiment in 1793, at Quebec. In 1794 he was ordered to England by his Royal Highness the Duke of Kent, to superintend the recruiting of the regiment; and the following year he joined again at Halifax, Nova Scotia. He was promoted to the rank of Colonel the 21st of August, 1795; in May, 1798, was placed on the Staff of the Severn district as Brigadier; on the 18th of June, 1798, was appointed Major-General, and continued on the Staff; in June, 1799, he was removed to the command in Dorsetshire; in August, 1799, he was appointed to the Staff of Nova Scotia, and the following spring sailed for Halifax, and from thence was ordered to Cape Breton, to command the troops stationed there and to preside in the civil administration of the government: in which situation he remained upwards of seven years, and returned to England in Aug. 1807, having been relieved at his own request. He was promoted to the rank of Lieut.General in 1805, to the Colonelcy of the late 5th West India regiment in 1809, and to the rank of General in 1814. The remains of Gen. Despard were consigned to the grave very near the place of interment of several French officers, who died when on parole at Oswestry. Royal Military Calendar, and Gentleman's Magazine,

[ocr errors]

DOWDESWELL, General William, Dec. 1. 1828, at his seat, Pull Court, Worcestershire, aged 67. General Dowdeswell was the third of the six sons of the Right Hon. William Dowdeswell, M. P. for the county of Worcester, and Chancellor of the Exchequer during the short period of the Rockingham administration in 1765, whom Burke in a long epitaph has described as “a senator for twenty years, a minister for one, and a virtuous citizen for his whole life.” The General's mother was Bridget, youngest daughter of Sir William Codrington, first Baronet of Dodington in Gloucestershire, great aunt to Sir William-Raimond Codrington, the present Baronet of that place, and aunt to Rear-Admiral Sir Edward Codrington, G.C. B., the Commander at Navarino. The deceased was appointed Ensign in the 1st foot guards in 1780; Aidede-Camp to the Duke of Portland, then Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, in 1782; received a Lieutenancy with the rank of Captain, in his regiment, in 1785; and joined the army under the Duke of York at Tournay in 1793. In the action at Lincelles Capt. Dowdeswell commanded a company, and was present at the sieges of Valenciennes and Dunkirk. He succeeded to a company, with the rank of Lieut.-Colonel, in 1794; and was appointed Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the Bahama Islands in November, 1797. He returned thence to England, in July 1801. In 1797, he received the brevet of Colonel; and in 1798, a Lieut.-Colonelcy in the 60th foot; but in 1803, was removed to the 86th. In 1802, Col. Dowdeswell was appointed Private Secretary to Lieut.-Gen. Lord Wm. Bentinck, then Governor of Madras; in 1803 he attained the rank of Major-General; and in 1804, was enrolled on the staff of the Bengal army, which he joined in that year, and was immediately given the command of a wing. In this situation he continued during the active operations then in progress against the Mahratta Chiefs beyond the frontiers of the British territories, and including the siege of the fortress of Bhurtpore. In October 1805, he was detached by Lord Lake in command of a separate division of the army, consisting of 8000 men, to co-operate with his Lordship in preventing the incursions of the enemy, and protecting that portion of the East India Company's territory called the Doab; and the adjacent villages. To the liberal patronage of the late Champion, the town of Horncastle has been much indebted ; the annual Pic-nic Ball for the benefit of the Public Dispensary was established there, many years ago, by Sir Joseph Banks; but, for some time before his death, the infirmities attendant on increasing age prevented his annual visit to his seat at Revesby, and the balls gradually declined; till, on the late Champion's taking possession of Scrivelsby-court, those charitable meetings were revived, and the Dispensary Ball may now fairly boast of being the second public assemblage of the aristocracy of the county.— Gentleman's Magazine.

and remained in the field till hostilities ceased. When the army returned into cantonments, the Major-General was appointed to the command of the station at Cawnpore and its dependencies. On Lord Lake's departure for England in February 1807, General Dowdeswell succeeded, by the appointment of the supreme Governor of Bengal, to the chief command of the troops, in which he continued till compelled by ill health to return to England, where he arrived in November 1808. He received the thanks of the Government in India for his conduct. He was appointed to a Lieut.-Colonelcy in the 60th foot in June that year; to the rank of Lieut.-Gemeral in 1810, and to that of General in 1821. Having in 1811 inherited the family estates on the death of his elder brother, Thomas Dowdeswell, Esq., he had recently retired from the army, among those officers who have been specially allowed to retain their rank, but without receiving pay. We have thus, from his own account, transmitted to the Royal Military Calendar, described General Dowdeswell's military career; we must next notice his parliamentary history, and afterwards relate the few particulars we have of his connection with literature and the arts. The borough of Tewkesbury has been almost constantly represented by a member of the Dowdeswell family since the election of Richard Dowdeswell, Esq. (the great-grandfather of the General) in 1684. The death of his uncle Sir William Codrington, who had sat for Tewkesbury in six parliaments, formed an opening for the deceased, then Captain Dowdeswell, in 1792. He was rechosen at the general election in 1796, and vacated his seat by accepting the appointment of Governor of the Bahamas, in Nov. 1797. Gen. Dowdeswell was a great encourager of literature; and at one period his library of books and prints was exceeded in value by few private collections. His library was sold by Mr. Evans, in Pall Mall, Jan. 10. 1820, and four following days. From among many scarce and curious articles, we must particularly mention a copy of Gough's “British Topography,” the two volumes of which were increased to no less than twenty-four, by the addition of upwards of four thousand views and portraits. The General's prints were soon after sold at the same place, being described as “the choice selections of the works

of the most eminent engravers of all the schools, containing fine and rare specimens of each master from the commencement of the art to nearly the present aera.” His collection of Hollars formed a separate sale in 1821, and produced 505l. 16s. 6d. (Walpole's Catalogue of Engravings, by Dallaway, p. vii.) The General's remains were interred in the family vault at Bushley in Worcestershire, on the 8th of December. As he was never married, his Lincolnshire property has devoived to his next brother, Edward Christopher Dowdeswell, D. D. Canon of Christ-church, Oxford; and the Worcestershire and Gloucestershire estates to his youngest brother, John Edward Dowdeswell, Esq. a Master in Chancery, and the present Representative in Parliament for the Borough of Tewkesbury. The latter only is married : he has two sons and a daughter. — Royal Military Calendar, and Gentleman's Magazine. DYMOKE, The Rev. John, Prebendary of Lincoln, Rector of Scrivelsby-cum-Dalderby, and hereditary King's Champion; Dec. 3. 1828, at his seat, Scrivelsby Court, Lincolnshire; aged 63. This gentleman was son of Lewis Dymoke, Esq., who, in 1814, petitioned the King to declare him entitled to the Barony of Marmion of Scrivelsby, in virtue of the seisure of the manor of Scrivelsby, but died before the House of Lords had arrived at a decision. His claim to the title was derived from the same source as the Championship, — that is, from the ancient Lords Marmion; but there is reason to believe that, although the tenure of the manor of Scrivelsby, by grand serjeantcy, gives a right to the office of Champion, the barony would never be allowed on the same grounds, the Earldom of Arundel being a solitary instance of the kind. The Rev. John Dymoke was the 17th of his name who inherited the singular office of Champion; and, on account of his being a clerk in holy orders, it was executed by his son Henry Dymoke, Esq. (who has now succeeded to its honours), at the Coronation of George the Fourth, in 1821. The deceased was of Lincoln College, Oxford, M.A. 1781; was presented to the family living of Scrivelsby in 1795, and to the prebend Sanctae Crucis in the Cathedral of Lincoln in 1806. His funeral was attended by the neighbouring gentry, by his numerous tenantry, and by a large concourse of the inhabitants of Horncastle

[ocr errors]

EAST, Sir Gilbert, Bart. ; Dec. 11. 1828, at Hall-place, Maidenhead, aged 64. Sir Gilbert was the elder son of Sir William the first Baronet, by Hannah second daughter of Henry Cassamajor, of Tokington in Gloucestershire, Esq. On the death of his father when upwards of eighty, Oct. 12. 1819, the late Sir Gilbert succeeded to the Baronetcy. Sir Gilbert married, May 10, 1788, Eleanor Mary, eldest daughter of William Jolliffe, Esq. and aunt to the present Sir William G. H. Jolliffe, Bart. ; by this lady, who survives him, he had no children, and the Baronetcy has become extinct. Sir Gilbert's will has been proved in Doctor's Commons. It contains some very eccentric directions respecting his dogs, horses, and parrots, from which the following are abridged: – “Every dog belonging to me at my decease, be it where it may, shall be kept in every respect as well as during my life; shall be fed with milk, barley or oatmeal, or sea-biscuit and tripes, &c., and I leave 7s, a week for each dog; and a trusty, honest person shall look after them and attend upon them, which, together with any kennel-furniture when wanting, shall be an extra payment over and above the weekly allowance, as shall also medicines. I do not allow of any one dog to be killed because old or infirm, under a false notion of charity. And further, any horse or mare belonging to me at my decease shall have each a run for life, with every possible care and attention paid to them, but most particularly in winter, when I will, that chaff, bran, and hay be daily and plentifully given to them, and a warm shed or sheds for them to shelter themselves in be provided, and that they be allowed to run in my meadows at Fifield particularly; I bequeath 8s. per week for the maintenance of each horse, mare, or gelding. Further, any parrot that may to me belong shall, at the decease of Eleanor Mary East, be made over to Martha Hack, who I trust will in every respect take the greatest care of it, on the same plan of keeping and feeding as practised whilst I was living, with the quarterly sum of 15l., making 60l. per year; and at the death of said parrot only 201. per year for life shall be paid unto Martha Hack or the successor actually appointed. A cage similar (being iron) to the present ones shall be provided at the expiration of every two years for the parrot aforesaid. “My remains shall be put into a cedar coffin, lined top, bottom, and sides with Russia leather, and shall be placed in a coffin made of best wrought iron, and painted three times inside and outside with black paint, and then embellished with armorial and funeral devices richly. Camphor and spices shall be put into the cedar coffin as much as possible. The body to be placed in the family vault, Witham, Essex. I shall give no very particular directions as to the procession, &c.; but it ought to be performed in a dignified and solemn manner, with banners, &c.” Sir Gilbert's funeral was conducted in a style of grandeur seldom exceeded. His remains were deposited in the family vault at Witham in Essex, in which parish he was lessee of the tithe, held of the Bishop of London. In the chancel is the monument of Sir Gilbert's grandfather, “William East of the Middle Temple,” who died in 1726. It has a Latin inscription, describing his family connections. The chief mourners on the recent occasion consisted of three nephews of the deceased,—Mr. East Clayton, Colonel Clayton, and Mr. Augustus Clayton. Sir Wm. Jolliffe, Mr. Jolliffe, Mr. Gilbert East Jolliffe, Mr. Berners, and other more distant relations of the family, were present. — Gentleman's Magazine. ESTE, the Rev. Charles, formerly one of the Reading Chaplains, at the Chapel Royal, Whitehall; aged 76. This gentleman was early in life connected with the newspaper press; and, from having experienced a severe ironi

cal attack in a rival journal, published, as long ago as in 1787, an autobiography, under the title of “My own Life, by C. Este, Clerk.” It is an octavo pamphlet, of thirty-six pages. It appears from it that, after having passed four years at the school of Mr. Allen, in Chelsea, he was at the age of seven removed to Westminster school, “ that he might tread in the steps” of an uncle, who died Bishop of Waterford." He proceeded through the school from the second form to the sixth ; but, when arrived at the usual age for proceeding to Oxford, his family were unable, from pecuniary reasons, to accomplish that plan. “Thus,” he says, “I became involved in circumstances of all others the most formidable. I had all at once nothing to do: of course was in danger of becoming nothing worth. I read French, indeed, with Restivo, a well-qualified Sicilian, who was patronised by Mr. Wilbraham Bootle; and I wrote with Chinnery, who, as a writingmaster, wanted no patronage but his own powers.”—“I panted for unreasonable liberty. The stage was the only avenue by which it seemed accessible to a boy. Just then let loose from school, among other feverish fancies, I had a wild idea that I could act. I resolved to try. Not many days after — I droop in saying it — I did try.”— “The only event in this shocking period which I can bear with any patience was my knowledge of Foote. I got introduced to him ; and what I got I never lost by childish pertness or inanity. He let me frequent him; in the course of a month or two I had eighty or ninety hours of his conversation. The delights of it almost bewildered me; it was intellectual rapture. He gave me, besides, many a kind admonition ; I never heard from him one flagitious sentiment, and but one idle word. Some months before I was eighteen this silly experiment ended. I came to myself, and returned to my father. “In 1770 I applied to medicine, or rather surgery; and from thence onward I attended lectures and the hospital.” —“Having formed, in series, specimens of the materia medica, I pleased myself

* Charles Este, Archdeacon of Ardagh, consecrated Bishop of Ossory 1735, translated to Waterford 1740, and died Dec. 2. 1745.

with new arrangements. It occurred to me that lectures might be composed with some credit. I prepared accordingly, and in the spring of 1777 my materials were so advanced that I published my intentions of reading lectures the following autumn. “Not long after this, a disappointment as to establishment inclined me to abandon this pursuit. An octavo edition of Latin notes on the Greek Testament fell in my way; the Reasonableness of Mr. Locke determined me. The impression from the 35th verse of St. John's 11th chapter quite overpowered me. I resolved to read for divinity, and with no loss of time; I paid my hairdresser to attend me at four in the morning; and from that hour my books were before me till nine or ten at night. Eight months were so occupied.” At the close of 1777 Mr. Este was ordained by Dr. Beadon, Bishop of London; and (writing in 1787) he adds, “from that time to this I have lived unblamed at least, I wish I could add unblameable, through the trying labours of a most populous parish in London, and as one of the King's Reading Chaplains at Whitehall. During the first five or six years of the same time, as long as my health would let me, the pulpit at Percy Chapel in the afternoon had no better care than mine. It hurts me to this moment, how I could dare succeed such a man as Dr. Maty. The employments I have were given me by those whose favour is fame — the Bishop of London and the Archdeacon of Colchester. The latter has honoured me with the confidence of nine years. I am not uneasy at my use of it.” At the close of his pamphlet, Mr. Este expresses no great attachment to his avocation of a newspaper writer; and in 1790 he advertised for sale his share of the World, which occasioned a long controversy in that paper and the Gazetteer with the other proprietor, Major Topham. In 1795 were published, in an octavo volume, Mr. Este's observations during “A Journey, in the Year 1793, through Flanders, Brabant, and Germany, to Switzerland.” It is a collection of very miscellaneous notes, which (as he had the honesty to confess) he sold to his bookseller before he started: “He pours on the reader,” observes the Monthly Review, “on every occasion, whether important or trifling, a torrent of remarks, which do not appear to have

been very carefully digested, nor brought forward from the general mass of thought with much discrimination; but they are the natural ebullitions of an enlightened mind, and a heart warmed with the sentiments of liberty and philanthropy.” Mr. Este appears to have married young, since it was for the sake of the medical education of his son, who until the Revolution had been studying at Paris, that he made this journey to the University of Pavia. It appears that he intended to give his lucubrations on Italy in a second volume, which, however, never appeared.—There was a portrait of Mr. Este, by Sir W. Beechey, at the last exhibition at Somerset House.— Gentleman’s Magazine. EVANS, the Rev. David, M. A. Rector of Simonburn, Northumberland; at Newcastle. upon-Tyne, April 9. 1829, aged 54. He was of Wadham College, Oxford, M.A. 1796; and, soon after his admission to holy orders, was appointed a Chaplain in the Royal Navy, in which capacity he continued to serve until the conclusion of the last war. During this long and meritorious course of profes. sional duty, Mr. Evans, by the uniform correctness of his conduct and the mildness and urbanity of his manners, conciliated the esteem and friendship of the several distinguished officers with whom he served, amongst whom may be mentioned Admirals Sir Charles Cotton, Sir R. G. Keats, and Sir George Martin. With the last named Admiral Mr. Evans enjoyed the double appointment of Secretary and Chaplain, as he did for some time under the Port Admiral at Malta. He was afterwards appointed Chaplain to the Royal Hospital at Haslar, whence, in 1815, he was presented to the most valuable of the benefices which were formed by dividing the originally widely extended rectory of Simonburn, and which was exclusively conferred on retired Naval Chaplains. The memory of this worthy man will be long and justly revered as that of a pious and exemplary clergyman, an affectionate and steady friend, and a truly amiable and benevolent member of society. Mr. Evans was married, in 1813, to Marian, daughter of the late Thomas Essex, Esq. of Oldfield, Middlesex, who survives to deplore the loss of a most kind and devotedly-attached husband. Gentleman's Magazine.

« ElőzőTovább »