the army in the field, on the north-west frontier, under Lord Lake; was present in an action under the walls of Agra, on the 10th of October, and at the siege and capture of that fortress on the 17th of that month; he was also present at the decisive victory gained by Lord Lake at Lasswaree, on the 1st of November, and continued with the army until the signature of peace with Scindia, when the Lieutenant-Colonel returned to Calcutta. On the 25th of September, 1803, he was promoted to be Colonel by brevet. In 1805, he was appointed Military Secretary to the Marquis Cornwallis, then Governor-General and Commander-in-Chief, and after his decease, remained in India as Quarter-Master-General until February, 1807; when he returned to England, and, arriving in September, resigned his Staff appointment. In February, 1808, Colonel Nightingall was appointed a Brigadier-General to the forces serving under Major-General Brent Spencer, and joined the army then detained at Falmouth. He was present with that force at Cadiz, and on the coast of Spain and Portugal, until it joined Sir Arthur Wellesley at Figueras, in August. He was engaged in the battle of Roleia on the 17th, and in that of Vimiera on the 21st of that month, in command of the 29th and 82d regiments, forming the 3d brigade, and received the thanks of Sir Arthur Wellesley on both occasions. In October following he returned to England, and received the thanks of both Houses of Parliament, communicated through Sir Arthur Wellesley. In December following, the Brigadier-General was appointed Governor and Commander-in-chief at New South Wales; but a long and painful illness, contracted in consequence of the service in Portugal, compelled him to relinquish that appointment; and, as soon as his health was sufficiently re-established, he was appointed to the Staff of the Kent district, and remained in command at Hythe and Dover during 1809 and part of 1810, when, being sufficiently recovered to encounter the fatigue of foreign service, he was

[ocr errors]

once more appointed on the Staff of Spain and Portugal, as a Major-General, having obtained that rank, by brevet, the 25th of July, 1810. About this period His Majesty was graciously pleased to confer a gold medal on the Major-General for his services in Portugal, and in the actions of Roleia and Vimiera. Early in January, 1811, he joined the head-quarters of the army at Cartaxo, and was appointed to a brigade in the 1st division, consisting of the 2d battalion of the 24th regiment, the 2d battalion of the 42d, and the 79th. On the 6th of March following, when the French army retired from Santarem, the Major-General was entrusted with the command of the right column, consisting of the 14th Light Dragoons, and his own brigade, and engaged in a close pursuit of the corps commanded by General Regnier. This column was afterwards reinforced by the 16th Light Dragoons and the 6th division, the whole of which force was placed under the command of the Major-General. Shortly after, orders were received to detach the whole of the column, with the exception of a squadron of the 14th Light Dragoons, and his own brigade, to reinforce the centre column, under the personal command of Lord Viscount Wellington. This compelled the Major-General to suspend, for some days, offensive operations, having the whole of Regnier's corps in the position of Espinal in its front: the success of the main body under his Lordship at Condexa, however, soon enabled the right column to resume the offensive, and it entered Espinal just as the rear of the enemy had quitted it, and formed a junction on the following day with the main body under Lord Wellington. Major-General Nightingall's brigade then resumed its position in the 1st division under Sir Brent Spencer, and was engaged with the rear of the enemy at Foz D'Arouce, on the 15th of March. Soon after this, after passing Satugal, Sir Brent Spencer being second in command, and frequently employed with other divisions, the command of the 1st division devolved on the Major-General, as next senior officer; and he so continued during the remainder of his services on

the Peninsula, and particularly in the action of Fuentes d’Onor on the 5th of May, 1816, where he was wounded at the head of the division at the close of that affair. In July following, having been appointed to the Staff in Bengal, he left the army in the neighbourhood of Elvas, and, embarking at Lisbon, arrived at Portsmouth, and thence, in the succeeding June, sailed for Bengal, where he arrived in November, and was first appointed to the command of a field division of the army, near the frontier; but, before he had joined at the station of Mizert, he received from Lord Minto, then Governor-General, the chief command in Java and its dependencies, with a seat in council. He arrived at Java in October, 1813. In April, 1814, a force was assembled to act against the Rajah of Bali in the island of Boleling, and the Rajah of Boni on that of Celebes, consisting of the 59th and 78th regiments, and 1000 Sepoys. The expedition arrived at the former place on the 17th of May; when, possession having been taken of the Rajah's place of residence, he immediately offered every reparation for the insults he had offered to the British flag, restored the property captured, and gave hostages for his good conduct in future. Part of the force was then sent back to Java, and the commander of the forces proceeded on the 20th of May, with the 59th regiment, flank companies of the 78th regiment, and 300 Sepoys, to Macassar, where he arrived, with only two transports, on the 2d of June, the rest of the convoy having been dispersed. As soon, however, as he could collect 500 of the 59th and the flank companies of the 78th regiment, with a few Sepoys, the Major-General determined on attacking the Rajah of Boni, who had assembled a force of 3000 men in a fortified position close to the fort, which he daily threatened to attack; and as all attempts at negotiation had completely failed, and the overtures of the Rajah appeared to be made solely to gain time, the Major-General resolved to attack him in his fortified town. The column of attack was formed before daylight on the 7th of June, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel M'Cloud, of the 59th regiment; and in less than an hour the British were in complete possession of the palace of the Rajah, who escaped with great difficulty in disguise. The loss of the British was triflirag in this sharp but brilliant affair, and amounted only to twenty rank and file, no officer being killed or wounded. The loss of the enemy was considerable, and the palace of the Rajah was destroyed. The power of Arong Polacca, the Rajah of Boni, was completely overturned, and the British possessions were placed in a state of perfect security. After settling the country and establishing the British supremacy in Celebes, the Major-General re-embarked on the 30th of June, and returned to Java, where he continued in command until Nov. 19. 1815, when, having been previously appointed Commander-in-Chief at Bombay, he embarked for India, and arrived at that Presidency on the 6th of February, 1816. He rose to the brevet of Lieutenant-General June 4, 1814; and on the enlargement of the Order of the Bath, Jan. 5. 1815, was nominated a Knight Commander of that Order. On the 20th of March, 1815, he was appointed Colonel of the late 6th West India regiment. Sir Miles continued in the chief command at Bombay, and second in Council at that Presidency, till 1819, when he returned to England. He was appointed Colonel of the 49th foot Feb. 19. 1820. Sir Miles was elected M.P. for Eye at the general election in 1820, and was re-elected at that in 1826. His death took place at Gloucester, on the 19th of September, 1829, at the age of sixty-one.

We are indebted to the Royal Military Calendar for the foregoing memoir.


No. XXV.



In veritate victoria.

The lineage of the late Earl of Huntingdon was not only noble but royal ; his ancestor, Sir Edward Hastings, being, both on the paternal and on the maternal side, legitimately descended from Edward the Third. On his father's side he was descended from, and was heir male general of Prince George, Duke of Clarence, younger brother to Edward the Fourth, and elder brother of Richard the Third. In the maternal line, he derived his descent from the famous Devereux, Earl of Essex, and through him from the Princess Anne Plantagenet, daughter of Prince Thomas, of Woodstock, Duke of Gloucester, youngest son of Edward the Third. From the Princess Anne he was also descended, on the paternal side, through her great granddaughter, the Lady Anne Stafford, daughter to her grandson, Henry Stafford, Duke of Buckingham, and wife of George, first Earl of Huntingdon.

Notwithstanding this splendid display of ancestry, the noble subject of the present memoir will long be memorable from the extraordinary circumstance of his not having attained to his ancient and most honourable earldom until after it had been for thirty years considered as extinct.

« ElőzőTovább »