In private life Mr. Fitz-Gerald was deservedly esteemed; his manners were social, and his heart was warm and generous: these, aided by his convivial talents, made his society coveted by a large circle of friends, who now lament his loss. His punctuality and delicacy in pecuniary transactions were carried to such an extent, that he would never wear any clothes which had been sent home for him by his tailor until he had paid the bill. So nice, indeed, was his sense of honour, that some years ago, on the death of a near relation, he liquidated her debts, to the amount of several thousands of pounds, although in no way legally liable for them. He was proud of his descent. Being one day asked by a gentleman if he did not belong to the Duke of Leinster's family, his answer was, —“No, Sir, the Duke of Leinster belongs to my family.”

Among the personal friends in whose society Mr. FitzGerald took the greatest pleasure (which they doubtless reciprocated) were Mr. Penn of Stoke Park, his cousin William Penn, and the accomplished Mr. Sinclair, eldest son of the venerable Sir John. It may be said that in this instance, in congenial soul, as in high descent, the feudal houses of Orkney and Pennsylvania harmonised with that of Desmond :

“The general favourite as the general friend
Such life there was ; and who could wish its end?”

Mr. Fitz-Gerald had the happiness of living for many years in the strictest intimacy with the late Lord Viscount Dudley and Ward. His Lordship was much devoted to music, and used to entertain, at his hospitable board at Himley, during the autumnal and winter months, the most celebrated musical professors of the day; and in these delightful parties Mr. Fitz-Gerald was a constant associate. But what still more redounds to his Lordship's credit was his ready, though unostentatious charity. His Lordship's amiable qualities were pleasingly commemorated by Mr. Fitz-Gerald, on a board fixed against an old yew-tree near the mansion at Himley. Viscount Dudley dying without a will, his kind intentions were fulfilled with singular munificence by the present Earl.

For the last thirty years of his life Mr. Fitz-Gerald laboured under asthma, and latterly he was much afflicted with dropsy. These complaints rendered him lethargic; and although he attended at the last dinner of the Literary Fund, it was evident to everyone present, who knew him, that he was rapidly declining. He died at Dudley Grove, Paddington, on the 9th July, 1829; and his remains were interred in the burial ground of St. John's Wood chapel, Mary-le-bone.

A portrait of Mr. Fitz-Gerald appeared in the “European Magazine” for the year 1804.

Nearly the whole of this memoir has been derived from “The Gentleman's Magazine:” there are a few facts in it, however, with which we have been favoured from a private SOurce.




This gallant officer was appointed Ensign in the 52d regiment, April 4, 1787; joined the additional company at Chatham barracks, and embarked in December that year for India. He arrived at Madras in July, 1788, and joined the regiment; was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant, November 12, 1789; served with the army under Sir W. Medows, in the grenadier company, and was present at the assault and capture of Dindegul, in August, 1790. Immediately after this he was appointed Brigade-Major to the King's troops in India, and posted to the first brigade of the army; in which situation he was present at the siege and capture of Poligautcherry, and continued to serve with the first brigade of the army under Lord Cornwallis the whole of the Mysore war; during which period he was present at the siege and assault of Bangalore, in March, 1791, and also the storming the strong hill forts of Saverndroog and Outradroog, the general action near Seringapatam on the 15th of May the same year, and the general attack on Tippoo's position, under the walls of Seringapatam, when all his redoubts were stormed, and one hundred pieces of cannon taken. This victory compelled the enemy to submit to the terms dictated by Lord Cornwallis, and peace was signed in March following. In August, 1793, the subject of our memoir was present at the siege and capture of Pondicherry, in the same situation and in the same brigade. His knowledge of the French language occasioned his being selected as Town-Major after the capture of Pondicherry; but that situation he merely held as long as his services were absolutely required, preferring the appointment of Brigade-Major to his Majesty's troops in India, as more honourable, though infinitely less lucrative. In August following he was compelled to leave India from very severe indisposition, and obtained leave of absence to return to England for the recovery of his health. He arrived home in January, 1795; and having been previously, in September, 1794, promoted (by purchase) to a company in the 125th regiment, was appointed Aide-de-Camp to Marquis Cornwallis, then commanding the Eastern District. A few months after, however, having obtained by purchase the Majority of the 121st regiment, he was appointed Brigade MajorGeneral to the district, February 28, 1795; and on the 9th of September following was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel, by purchase, in the I 15th regiment. Not wishing, however, to remain on home service, Lieutenant-Colonel Nightingall volunteered to go to the West Indies, with the expedition then fitting out under Sir Ralph Abercromby. He was accordingly placed in command of the 92d regiment; but that corps being soon after reduced, was removed to the 38th regiment, which he joined in October, 1795, and commanded during all its service in the West Indies, and at the capture of Trinidad in 1797. The Lieutenant-Colonel also attended Sir Ralph Abercromby, as an extra Aide-de-Camp, during the expedition against Porto Rico, it not being practicable to employ the regiment on that service; after which he was appointed Deputy InspectorGeneral of foreign corps; but, in consequence of very severe illness, was compelled to resign that office in August, 1797, and to return to England, where he arrived in October. In December following, Lieutenant-Colonel Nightingall was appointed Deputy Adjutant-General to the forces in St. Domingo, and soon after proceeded thither with General Maitland. He was employed on various service during his residence in that colony; and was selected to negotiate with Monsieur Herier, the Adjutant-General of Toussaint l’Overture, the evacuation of Port-au-Prince. In July he was sent to England in charge of despatches; and the remainder of the island being soon after evacuated, he was appointed Aide-deCamp to Lord Cornwallis, then Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, and was afterwards placed in the command of the 4th battalion of light infantry under Major-General Moore.

Early in 1799 he was again employed on a particular service with General T. Maitland, and sailed with him in the Camilla man-of-war to America, Jamaica, and St. Domingo; and returning to England in July, after having accomplished the objects of his mission, was appointed an Assistant Adjutant-General to the army assembling on Barham Downs, which he joined at Canterbury, three days after his arrival in London.

He sailed for the Helder early in September, and arrived at the head-quarters of the army on the 17th of September; was present in the general actions of the 19th of September and the 2d of October; but was obliged to leave the army soon after from ill health, and returned to England in November.

In January, 1800, Lieutenant-Colonel Nightingall was employed again under General T. Maitland in Quiberon Bay and on the coast of France, as Deputy Adjutant-General, and returned to England with despatches in July following. In June, 1801, he was appointed Assistant Quarter-Master-General in the Eastern District, and remained at Colchester until October following; when preliminaries of peace being signed between England and France, the Lieutenant-Colonel accompanied the Marquis Cornwallis (the Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary) to Paris, and to the Congress at Amiens, as private secretary; and returning to England in March following, obtained six months' leave of absence. In July, 1802, he was appointed Quarter-MasterGeneral in the East Indies, and sailed for Bengal early in April, 1803; arrived there in August, and immediately joined

« ElőzőTovább »