Magdalen Facts, 1. kiadás
author, 1832 - 104 oldal
38 articles focused on "those persons who are the proper subjects of a Magdalen asylum. This, with the divine permission, I shall attempt to do both by sketching and publishing the lives of a few of them, and by inquiring into the existence, causes, extent, effects and remedy of licentiousness, in order that more vigorous exertions may be put forth to preserve the young from ruin, and to raise the fallen from the abodes of misery and strife, to the habitations of mercy and peace"--To the public, page v/vi, signed: J.R. McDowall.
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
appearance asked asylum attention became become benevolent blood called cause character child committee continued course crime daughters death desire door effects efforts entered evil eyes fact father feelings female Five girl give hand happy head heart hope hospital human institution interest keep kind labors lady letter live look Lord Magdalen Magdalen Society means meeting mind misery months moral morning mother night object once opened pain parents passed penitentiary persons pleasure Points poor present prison reason received reform remain remarks replied rescue respectable ruin sins sisters society soon soul street tears Temperance thee things thou thought tion told true turned unto vice virtue virtuous wish woman women York young
5. oldal - And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient, being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness ; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity ; whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, without understanding, covenant-breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful...
7. oldal - These six things doth the Lord hate: Yea, seven are an abomination unto him : A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
29. oldal - And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it : but I found none.
101. oldal - Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the LORD, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters saith the LORD Almighty...
6. oldal - Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain ; but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.
6. oldal - Keep my commandments, and live ; and my law as the apple of thine eye. Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of thine heart. Say unto wisdom, "Thou art my sister;" and call understanding thy kinswoman : that they may keep thee from the strange woman, from the stranger which flattereth with her words.
28. oldal - As they gather silver, and brass, and iron, and lead, and tin, into the midst of the furnace, to blow the fire upon it, to melt it; so will I gather you in mine anger and in my fury, and I will leave you there, and melt you. Yea, I will gather you, and blow upon you in the fire of my wrath, and ye shall be melted in the midst thereof.