Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
England Before the Norman Conquest, by the Author of Domestic Scenes in ...
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2019
Alfred Alfred's ancient Angles Anglo-Saxon army attacked battle became become believed bishops body Britain British Britons brother brought called Canute carried CHAPTER chief Christian Church clergy coast commanded conquered court crown custom Danes Danish death died Duke Dunstan Earl Edward emperor enemies England English Ethelred Europe father feast follow formed friends gained gave give given Godwin govern hand Harold head heard heathen houses instructed king kingdom labour land language laws lived Mercia mind monasteries monks never nobles Norman Normandy Northumbria passed peace pirates priests prince queen race received reign religion remains Roman Rome round rule Saxon says sent settled shores sometimes sons soon subjects success suffered things thought took towns tribes Wales women young
28. oldal - Other Romans shall arise, Heedless of a soldier's name, Sounds, not arms, shall win the prize, Harmony the path to fame. Then the progeny that springs From the forests of our land, Arm'd with thunder, clad with wings, Shall a wider world command. Regions Caesar never knew, Thy posterity shall sway, Where his eagles never flew, None invincible as they.
84. oldal - But now farewell. I am going a long way With these thou seest — if indeed I go (For all my mind is clouded with a doubt) — To the island-valley of Avilion; Where falls not hail, or rain, or any snow. Nor ever wind blows loudly; but it lies Deep-meadow'd, happy, fair with orchard lawns And bowery hollows crown'd with summer sea, Where I will heal me of my grievous wound.
27. oldal - Tis because resentment ties All the terrors of our tongues. Rome shall perish, — write that word In the blood that she has spilt ; Perish...
278. oldal - And now, therefore, be it known to you all, that I have dedicated my life to God, to govern my kingdoms with justice and to observe the right in all things. If, in the time that is passed, and in the violence and carelessness of youth, I have violated justice, it is my intention, by the help of God, to make full compensation.
321. oldal - Make up your minds to fight valiantly, and slay your enemies. A great booty is before us : for if we conquer we shall all be rich ; what I gain you will gain — if I take this land, you will have it in lots among you.
206. oldal - I pray thee (for thou art my dear child), strive to be a father and a lord to thy people. Be thou the children's father and the widow's friend. Comfort thou the poor and shelter the weak; and, with all thy might, right that which is wrong.
29. oldal - Then the progeny that springs From the forests of our land, Armed with thunder, clad with wings, Shall a wider world command. " Regions Caesar never knew Thy posterity shall sway, Where his eagles never flew, None invincible as they." Such the bard's prophetic words, Pregnant with celestial fire, Bending as he swept the chords Of his sweet but awful lyre. She, with all a monarch's pride, Felt them in her bosom glow, Rushed to battle, fought and died, Dying, hurled them at the foe. " Ruffians, pitiless...
5. oldal - Therefore is the name of it called Babel ; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth : and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.
259. oldal - Even as, by the death of thy brother, thou didst aspire to the kingdom, hear the decree of heaven. The sin of thy wicked mother and of her accomplices shall rest upon thy head ; and such evils shall fall upon the English as they have never yet suffered, from the days when they first came into the isle of Britain, even until the present time.
27. oldal - WHEN the British warrior queen, Bleeding from the Roman rods, Sought, with an indignant mien, Counsel of her country's gods, Sage beneath the spreading oak Sat the Druid, hoary chief; Every burning word he spoke Full of rage and full of grief: "Princess!